Black Skirt/Black Widow Tetra - same or differant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i am still new at this, and with the help of some very kind people they have helped me to figure out the real names of the fish i have. the stores seem to label them a bit different and make for allot of confusion and mixing of peaceful and aggressive fish at the same time.. I have a 29 gallon tank that has guppies and a variety of tetras, in reading i am bit confused, are black skirt tetras and black widow tetras the same?? if so why do some say peaceful and others say aggressive? if they are not the same how can i tell the difference?

Attachments

• glo and skirt tetra.jpg
    glo and skirt tetra.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 88
  • tetra family.jpg
    tetra family.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 81
i am still new at this, and with the help of some very kind people they have helped me to figure out the real names of the fish i have. the stores seem to label them a bit different and make for allot of confusion and mixing of peaceful and aggressive fish at the same time.. I have a 29 gallon tank that has guppies and a variety of tetras, in reading i am bit confused, are black skirt tetras and black widow tetras the same?? if so why do some say peaceful and others say aggressive? if they are not the same how can i tell the difference?

In my last tank I had 5 black skirt tetras and they were pretty varied in their personalities, can definitely be aggressive at times.

Wth!!! How do I know if my other fish are safe? Why do they say peaceful? Anyone with common sense would question or assume black widow can be aggressive, black skirt who would think. I'm very upset at the stores lack of knowledge, and the degrees of misleading information. I think most beginners are like I was. You get a tank set it up and pick the fish that catch your eye. I've since learned to look, go home do lots of research, then purchase. A lesson learned the hard way. Thank you for your replies. I know some of my questions seem dumb but only way to know is ask. I'm still leaning only been into this hobby a few months but I'm hooked for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well with the little that I know about fish I do believe black skirt tetras need a group of around 5 or so, that could also be the reason for the aggression. Can you list all the fish you have?

Back
Top Bottom