Black Skirt Tetra / Platy Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SportsNerd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could comment about the compatibility of five Black Skirt Tetras and one male Platy in a 10 gallon tank. I have read that these two species are compatible and I am thinking about this combination. Will the Platy hold his own with the nippy BST's, or is this a bad idea?

If it is a bad idea, what other suggestions would you have for a single fish with the 5 BST's in a 10g? Not a Dwarf Gourami please, I don't want to take a chance on the iridovirus.

Thanks!

Hi! That mix will be just fine! You may wish to up the number to 3 (for company). Also, you should reconsider the dwarf gourami! I have 2 in a 10 gallon with some BST's and everyone gets along fine and I have never had a problem with either gourami! Or, you could do the 5 BST and 3 cory's for the bottom, they will eat extra food that falls to the bottom and will help clean your tank.

I have BST's. I got them half grown six months ago. They are now full grown and measure 2.75" long and 1.75" top to bottom. Five full grown BSTs will be a LOT of fish flesh in a 10g. Just so you'll know what to expect. OS.

Back
Top Bottom