Black skirted tetras and MTS babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I got the 25+ MTS I bought. The parameters are: ph 7.8, ammonia 0.50 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate 40 ppm. I used media from another filter to help cycle the tank. The snails have all gone up the inside of the tank and are just staying there. Is that normal?

:banghead::banghead:

I put 3 black skirt tetras in the tank and am wondering, since MTS are livebearing do you think the tetras will eat all the babies? Can you tell I know almost nothing about snails?

:confused::confused:

Maltimomma said:
Today I got the 25+ MTS I bought. The parameters are: ph 7.8, ammonia 0.50 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate 40 ppm. I used media from another filter to help cycle the tank. The snails have all gone up the inside of the tank and are just staying there. Is that normal?

I put 3 black skirt tetras in the tank and am wondering, since MTS are livebearing do you think the tetras will eat all the babies? Can you tell I know almost nothing about snails?

Do a PWC to get your Nitrates below 20 and your Ammonia closer to Zero.

Snails at the top is not a good sign ! IMHO

Are the snails floating around? If so I wouldn't immediately stress as the most likely cause is just some air in their shells, likely from the movement of their transport container to your tank.

Are the snails floating around? If so I wouldn't immediately stress as the most likely cause is just some air in their shells, likely from the movement of their transport container to your tank.

The snails are all hanging on the side of the tank and not floating.

Do a decent water change, 70% or a couple of 50% back to back. Snails trying to leave the aquarium indicates that the conditions aren't favorable; I'm guessing the ammonia is bothering them.

Maltimomma said:
The snails have all gone up the inside of the tank and are just staying there. Is that normal?

I have a bunch of mts snails. It is normal for a few to go up the side, but for all of them to go up is a sign of bad water. Do a water change immediately!

You will not see a majority of the baby snails. They will hide down in your substrate. nor will your tetras bother them. I have 3 in with mine as well and the must they ever do is knock them off the wall of the tank

Back
Top Bottom