Black spots on Orandas wen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

I have just noticed that my red cap oranda has dark red/black spots in the grooves of its wen? Is this normal or is there something wrong?
None of the other fish in the tank have these spots and the water parameters are normal except the nitrate which is about 10ppm. Just doing a large water change now to help with this.

Really worried!

Thanks!

Can you possibily get some pics? Is it just discoloration or are there sores/pits/fuzziness, etc? It may just be some wen growth or some natural pigmentation but some more info will help!

For some reason it wont let me upload the pictures. You can hardly see the spots out of the water but they are very clear when he is in he water. They are not raised, just very small black dots. They are only in the grooves of the wen too, not on the smooth parts. A lot of the dots are at the back of the wen where it joins to his head. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I will keep trying to upload the pictures.

Here are the best pictures I can take. I am not sure if the spots are very clear in these pictures. They spots are only the size of a pin head.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 189
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 183
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 177
sorry but i cant see the spots in question but that is a beautiful redcap, congrats have a close look if there is pitting or a fuzzy groth then it may be worth treating with an anti fungal agenent such as malachite green or otherwise

Princess1982 said:
the water parameters are normal except the nitrate which is about 10ppm. Just doing a large water change now to help with this.

Really worried!

Thanks!

Normal as in how? what are the ammonia and nitrite levels

Thanks Daveho. He is my little baby! No fuzzy growths or obvious fungus. I will treat with anti fungal treatment just in case but I'm hoping it is just discoloration down to growth. He is his normal energetic self and eating well so I hope it is nothing serious.

Thanks again!

How long has the tank been cycled?

Edit: after reading some of your other threads, IMO I don't think its fungal
When you had a problem with your nitrates before it can be caused by ammonia breaking down into nitrates. Causing ammonia burns on its wen. On an oranda this is where ammonia burns show up.
Or..
The dark marks on the wen can show up after a growth spurt and they can take some time to fade away.

I wouldnt treat with anything unless you notice fuzziness, pitting, sores or obvious signs of discomfort (flashing, change in behavior, appetite, etc). I can not see anything in the pics either but thanks for posting them! I think its very possible its just growth or your seeing melanocyctes (black pigmentation). If anything changes for the worse, definitely let us know! Keep a close eye on him in the meantime & keep the water healthy. :)

HI All

Thanks for your feedback. I have just upgraded to this tank 2 weeks ago but I added all of the water from a fully cycled 180 litre tank and then some fresh water. Nitrite and Ammonia are 0ppm. The Nitrate suddenly shot up to 80ppm a few weeks back hence the massive upgrade as I suspected it was due to overstocking. After the upgrade to nitrate has come down to around 10ppm.

He is showing no signs of discomfort, fungus, lack of appetite or anything. I am hoping you are right about the growth spurt.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom