Black Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redflame56262

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today after i got from school i found my black tetra over some fake plants i have in the tank and i thought it had died but when i got closer to get a better look it started swimming but it looked pretty rought looking and now it just hides behind the filter. Can anybody tell me if there is anything wrong with him ???

What are your water parameters? He could be stressed. Read the sticky at the head of this forum and answer those questions and then we can help you better.

hey i just found out what was wrong with him. It appears that another fish is nipping its fins :cry: can fins grow back ?? cause my fish can barely swim and if he survives ill get another tank this weekend :cry: i hope he lives

Keep up with your water changes. His fins will grow back, but there is a chance for secondary infection. Very clean water will help, and make sure there are lots of hiding places for your scared fishy.

Today i found him kind of stuck on one of my plants when i got home. So i freed him from there and he could not swim very good. So next time do i just leave him there ?? or should i always help him out ??/

Are you sure he was stuck? The poor little thing is probably very stressed out, he needs a place where he can safely hide from whom ever is attacking him. What other fish do you have with him?
If you are sure he is getting stuck and can not move then, yes, help him out.

yeah im sure cause he didnt move at all and i tougth he was dead and i tapped the glass next him and he didnt move at all. I looked closer and i saw that he was still breatheing so i knew he was alive so i put the net in the tank and you know fish usually swim away but th efish didnt move at all so i freed him from the plant and he couldnt swim right at first. He was upside down for a while until he got the hang of swimming and went behind the filter to hide

In my experience, when a fish starts to hang upside down for a while, it does not live very long. I truly hope you can save your fish, but it doesn't sound like he is doing very well.

well i guess he got used to it now because he swims ok now but he doesnt move a lot he stays in one spot pretty much and as for the fish i guess you can look in my profile

redflame56262 said:
can fins grow back ??
Yes! Melafix works wonders. Many LFS should have it. I recommend getting the pond strength and a medicine dropper to administer it. Cheaper in the long run if you use it a lot. Meredith is spot on with ensuring clean water too.

unfortunately my fish died yesterday night :cry: well it seems i'll need to get another tank or others may suffer the same fate and the tetra :cry:

Back
Top Bottom