Black Water Expert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, I got my tank filled last night using my new Python hose (I wish I'd seen Big Al's before I ripped open the packadge :( ) My HOT Magnum is humming along after applying copious amounts of silicon to the seals. (Less is more? Yeah right... :lol: )

Now, I plan to do this whole thing as an Amazon river setup...would it be advisable that I get some Black Water Expert for the water? I'm pretty sure the LFS that I'm getting the fish from is just using tap water with AmQuel in it so it'd probably be easier to acclimate the fish to that, but would it be better for the long run to get the conditions in the tank with a lower pH and softer water before I start adding the fish and plants?

What is the KH and PH of your tapwater, others from that area seem to have soft water.
Do you have a testkit yet? If not I like to suggest this one..
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19475;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=
Im guessing your talking about the Black Water Extract right? If your running AC in
your filter it would be gone in no time.. That and its not really nessisary (its more for looks)
There is a good chance that your PH is fine.. test it if its under 8.3 you shouldnt have
any problems keeping the fish.. If you are wanting to breed say angelfish or discus down the road you can acclimate the fish to a RO water mix so the eggs can be fertilized.

Yeah, Extract...expert...both start with an ex ;) I was looking at Kent's Black Water Expert, so I guess the brand name stuck with me. I haven't gotten a test kit yet...I didn't like any in the store because I couldn't find one that tested for kH. I definately wouldn't mind the look of it though, since I'm really going for the whole Amazon feel. I don't know that I'll ever get into breeding angels or discus, but I do see this tank as a bit of practice for eventually keeping discus.

But yeah, I have AC in my filter, so I guess it wouldn't be very useful to put it in.

From everything Ive learned in the past few months if you have had fish before and dont mind maintaince there really isnt a reason to not keep discus (so long as your prepared to step up the regular maintance thats normaly required).. there is a great thread there about discus.. its very long though.. :p
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52048
If you have any questions not addressed in the thread by all means go ahead and ask, BrianNY will answer most any question he can about it, and your likely to see a few other members that will post answers as well.. :biglol:
The newer strains of discus are much more hardy then they used to be. :p

FWIW, you don't really have to do blackwater for the amazon biotope. What makes the setup more appealing is the types of SA fish, authentic rockwork and plants.

As GM mentioned, kh and ph are a concern only if you are thinking about breeding angels or discus. Most of the available fish are tankbred with some limited numbers of wild caught. In that regard, they are already accustomed to ph's in the 6.8 - 7.6 ranges and kh of 3 - 10 ppm.

HTH.

Alright, I'm sold...no BWE for me ;) I'll suffer with my fake Amazon biotope with crystal clear water... :D

I on the other hand have a Amazonian setup in one of my tanks and I use the Black Water Expert at every water change.

My fish seem happier and their colors are better since the reason SA fish have all the bioluminescent coloring is to help them school together in the darker water.

My reasoning behind me saying my fish being happier is every one in the tank keeps spawning and Im not even trying to breed them.

I just noticed you are in Tampa too. So you could see it first hand if you would like.

Not to go offtopic, but since it's my topic I don't feel too bad about it ;)

What fish store you use in Tampa? I just moved here so I'm still getting a feel for the area. I got all my stuff at Fish World down Armenia, just south of Sligh.

alot of people use peat moss from the garden center.. cheap and it acidifys the water.. (the black water is actually a redish brown by the way)

1) You do not need blackwater or to even futz about too mauch with water hardness to successfully spawn discus.

2)I believe that catapa leaves also have a mild sedative effect (but I could be incorrect as tropical botany, outside of a few ferns, bromeliads and orchids, is not my forte either)...if this is so, then using them for blackwater would be a poor idea.

3) No known Amazon fish known is bioluminescent (which means that they light up like fireflies)....the term 'conspicuously coloured' is what you want.

I know that I don't need the black water, but I've heard that it does help bring out the colors of the fish. I'm still undecided if I'm going to bother with it, but until I actually start putting fish in next weekend probably (going out of town this weekend) then I'll keep looking at all my options ;)

Back
Top Bottom