blackwater issues with api test kits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex07

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I tested all of my tanks between yesterday and today and it's like if I'm not cycled. My results were 0 for ammonia & nitrite which great but also 0 in nitrate which is what I am concerned about. Tested my neighbor's tank and the readings were fine. Anyone else had or is having issues testing there blackwater tanks?

Attempted to speak to a tech from Mars Fishcare Inc. about my situation but I called after 5pm Eastern time.

I'm sure it's the peat moss what is throwing off the results.

The presense of nitrates does not indicate that the tank is cycled. The lack of ammonia and nitrites does. If the tank is stocked, and both levels remain 0, then you have nothing to worry about.

mfdrookie516 said:
The presense of nitrates does not indicate that the tank is cycled. The lack of ammonia and nitrites does. If the tank is stocked, and both levels remain 0, then you have nothing to worry about.

My tank has been cycled and stocked for a while.

I just want to know my nitrate level. I'm also concerned because i cant get any readings off of my biotope tank i'm currently building.

plants consume nitrates, so if you have a heavily planted, lightly stocked tank, its possible to have no nitrates

I was thinking of dosing kno3 to see if it helps

Back
Top Bottom