BlazerFRS's 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
This was my 10g awhile back:

img_624870_0_0e6b1fe0298a0af48e0c87fa91cffa86.jpg

Pretty standard fair for a beginner's planted tank I think. It was nice, but didn't really 'do it' for me.

I've since rid myself of the Cabomba and wisteria, added 9W of lighting (for a total of 35w or 3.5WPG) and added a bunch of plants (Thanks a million to czcz)

img_624870_1_7ac21e57546f87a91940f01a73f82889.jpg

I think it looks a ton better already, but I haven't really given much thought to aquascaping yet... waiting to propogate some of the red plants from czcz.

Any thoughts on how I can arrange everything in there to something a little more cohesive when the time comes?

Thanks a ton- I couldn't have done it w/o all the help form this board.

Yes the moss is covering a rock- it's gotten pretty unruly, and I haven't really figured a good way to keep it down since the rock is half buried in sand.

As for broad leaf plants, I've got some L. Repens in there that needs to grow up yet... what sort of plants do you have in mind?
It'd be nice if I could get the java fern in there to grow large as well, but it always seems to stop getting longer at 3"-4", at which point it just sends out more new leaves.

Man, your plants look great. I like the arrangement a lot and that you have R. macrandra where its getting plenty of light. I also like that the plants behind it look very far away. What's that neat dark green plant near center, by the moss rock? If it stays low, I think that color would look great in the fore/midground closer to R. macrandra, fwiw. If you ran the carpet behind the moss rock, the tank may look even deeper.

Thanks czcz! I was hoping to induce some depth in the tank by using so many small-looking plants.

The dark green plant is the stubonrly short Java fern, which is attached to the rock. I've been contemplating dividing it, as it has 10+leaves.

I've also noticed the taller stem of R. macrandra is developing side shoots- How long should these get before I can remove them from the 'mother' stem? Also, does R. macrandra take well to topping for propogation?

Thanks, and keep the comments coming!

Thanks. Its hard to see it clearly, but man a dwarf java fern would be cool :)

For R. macrandra, I let the side shoots grow at least a couple inches before splitting, unless its near the top, in which case I leave them on when I top. I find topping is the only effective way to keep it looking nice while propogating, and it takes it well. For me, leaving the bottom stems takes forever and a day to propogate while tending to melt and look bad (bad), but if you're patient is worth the effort I think. Just FYI, R. macrandra "narrow leaf" is unlike this for me and is easier to propogate with topping or branching off bottom stems.

Hopefully Glenc posts. He's grown R. macrandra much nicer and fuller than I have.

I really hope I can propogate the R. macrandra well-It's def. one of my new favorites in the looks department. The shape the top of the plant takes is sweet.

I think i'm gonna have to try leaving the bottoms planted, as the side-shoots on the one plant are coming out about 3.5 in form the substrate. Both stems have grown about 2in in the past two days; The taller of the two should hit the surface before wed. at this rate. I'm gonna have to top them soon, but I'm a little terrified- I don't wanna hurt them haha :).

I'd love to hear any tips anyone else might have on this plant...

Back
Top Bottom