Bleach does not kill snail eggs??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am slowly transferring plants from my 55 to my 20 and soaking them in bleach because of a bba problem :? I also have a snail problem in the 55 and I thought, well good the bleach will take care of the snails and I wont have to worry about it in the new tank. In fact I did find a few dead snails in the bleach water when I was done with the few plants that I soaked. But today there were teeny little snails on the plants in the new tank, AND I found a blobby clump of eggs under a leaf! Ugh! What do I do??

looks like your going to have snails in the new tank... what kind of snails are they?

ooohhh, the kind that lay a LOT of eggs. Common pond snails I think. The only thing that MAY save me at this point is there are no fish in there at the moment, hence, no food. But I have seen them munching on plants so they may survive after all... If they can avoid being squished :twisted:

why does everyone hate snails so much? unless, like you said, they eat your plants? i LOVE them, and think they're great for clean up and aeration, and cool to watch--especially when they freefall off a leaf. i just make sure that i don't get any plant eaters. in fact, i keep trying to keep mts in my tank, and although travis swears that the clown loaches can't crack a mts shell, i keep finding empty shells. sigh.

i think yoyos have been know to take care of snails and their eggs and they don't get as big as clowns.

check out my gallery for a pic of my red ramshorns--sooooo pretty...

(are you convinced yet ;))

crazycat said:
why does everyone hate snails so much? unless, like you said, they eat your plants? i LOVE them, and think they're great for clean up and aeration, and cool to watch--especially when they freefall off a leaf. i just make sure that i don't get any plant eaters. in fact, i keep trying to keep mts in my tank, and although travis swears that the clown loaches can't crack a mts shell, i keep finding empty shells. sigh.

i think yoyos have been know to take care of snails and their eggs and they don't get as big as clowns.

check out my gallery for a pic of my red ramshorns--sooooo pretty...

(are you convinced yet ;))

right.. well the reason they aren't pest to you is becuase you DO have clown loaches. Before i got clown loaches, the small variety of ramshorns were taking over my tank. And for those that don't like or don't want clown laoches, they can get to be quite a bit of a pest.

Also, i think the clown loaches can suck the MTS out of their shell... LOL.. I have seen mine actually attacking the shells of my Apple snails and pecking at the MTS.

I dont hate snails. So long as their numbers are kept in check, they are fine. But I have had an explosion in the 55 and I was looking forward to a snail free environment in the 20. That tank will have my rams and possibly the otos and hopefully that will be all :wink:

i DO know what you mean by being overrun by snails. my 6g has become a total breeding ground for ramshorns--i guess i just find them pretty. and i wait for them to get big enough so i can transfer them to the big tank (and hope they don't become loach snacks!)

ashley nicole--i heard that about clownies being able to suck mts of their shells--but i just can't believe it 8O then again, the clownies CAN be pretty crafty...

i just put a whole bunch of new mts in my tank and we'll see how they do (crosses fingers).

i will say that putting a vegetable slice in the tank is a great way to round up snails for disposal...it's been posted before, but it's true! of course, the ones that are left will still breed like bunnies...;)

Back
Top Bottom