Blind Cave Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidigirl99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I recently got these two blind cave tetras, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. So far, they have only eaten bloodworms for me, and it usually takes them a while to figure out where they are.

Also, not sure if my set up is the best for them... right now, I only have them in a 5 gallon tank with sand and rocks and a makeshift cave.

TIA,
JenIMG_1653.jpg

Tetras will do best in groups, 10+ is a good start. That tank is too small for anything other than a betta really. I have to experience with this specific breed of tetra but seeing as they're a blind cave tetra I'd suggest trying to match their natural environment as much as possible. They probably rely more heavily on scent/sense than sight so live foods that emit vibration and scent would be ideal. Maybe use tweezers to present food with a little shimmy? You'll want to switch up basically everything you've done to properly accommodate those fish.

Okay! I figured that I would need to transfer them to a larger tank. Although the pet store only had two tetras, she said she could order more. I like the idea of shimmying tweezers though :) thanks!!

Since these fish rely more on certain signals in the water, I suggest removing the bubbles. In fact, bubble curtains are stressful for fish, but it's possible that by their nature, these fish can become even more stressed.

Since these fish rely more on certain signals in the water, I suggest removing the bubbles. In fact, bubble curtains are stressful for fish, but it's possible that by their nature, these fish can become even more stressed.

Okay! Thank you [emoji846]

Back
Top Bottom