Blinded My Pleco fish?? Something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starmagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

Yesterday night I accidentally took a picture of my sailfin pleco using flash.
The next morning, I noticed that he was quickly swimming around the tank and poking his nose out of the water. He kept running into things and even has wounds. He has pretty much lost the skin on the top of his nose. Was this because he kept running into the glass?

My real question is... if the flash actually blinded him, how long will it last? Is he temporarily blinded? For how long?

Thank you!!

How long has your tank been set up?
Likely something in the water [ammonia /nitirite] are the cause of this behavior.
We all 'flash' our fish every now and then and they go blind from it.

My tank has been set up for little over a year now. I have nothing to test the parameters, though.

Currently, my fish is nearly lying on his back in the corner of the tank. He is breathing, but not moving. When I gently touch him, he does not respond. He has an open wound and his fins are damaged. I have no clue what caused this, but am very worried.

You should start doing 25% water changes if you are not up on them.
If you have been good with them go right to 50%.
I would do this for a couple days and try to get a picture of wound on fish if possible.
Still thinking water quality is issue here...

I'd take him out put him in something else with fresh water. U gotta act fast or you will lose him if you hadn't already. He's dying. You gotta get him out and into clean water. Your the one with a turtle and pleco, yes??? Find a tote, container, bowl, something. Fresh water, and clean the tank in the mean time, and I'd do 3-4 50% water changes wash everything down too. Hope you hadn't lost him yet.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Unfortunately, I lost him last night.

I'm completely crushed. :(

He had one white eye and open wounds. I don't know the reasoning for this, but my turtle may have accidentally hurt him. I've seen it before. (Though, she is not aggressive at all and would never do it intentionally)

*I don't think it was the water quality. I cleaned my two filters and everything in the tank recently. My water is very clear, oxygenated, and the surface is constantly moving.

Thank you so much for trying to help. I appreciate it.

It's hard to take care of fish. I think all of ya'll agree. Good luck with your pets, everyone. Please allow them to live full, happy lives.

Rest in Peace, Cucumber. You will be very much missed.

Back
Top Bottom