Blood fin tetra ill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Danio

Aquarium Advice Freak
My blood fin tetra is super bloated and one eye is kind of popping out of his head he was normal when I went to school (8:00)am and when I got home (4:00)pm he or she was like this do you know what is wrong with it?????
He/she is in a ten gallon tank with 3 other blood fins and a Betta which is nice and 4 leopard danios and some snails. Tank parameters are fine.

Attachments

• image-1333495541.jpg
    image-1333495541.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2966563116.jpg
    image-2966563116.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2456663211.jpg
    image-2456663211.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 88
Sounds like and looks like dropsy or possibly pop eye! He does look super bloated! If it was me I would put him in hospital/qt tank and treat him with Salt and give him a blanched shelled pea, but hopefully someone else will chime in! Is he mostly swimming up right?

Yes he is upright and what do I do if I don't have a quarantine tank!!!!

4 leopard danios some snails a Betta and another 3 bloodfins and a baby Chinese algae eater

Never mind I just re read your thread and see his tank mates. It sounds like dropsy to me you could treat your tank with some Epsom salts it has worked for me before. Use about 2 1/2 teaspoons per 10 gallons of water and feed the peas as well.

Remember the earlier you treat him the higher the chance you can save him! You could also IME give him some maracyn two also does it look his scales are kind popping? Definitely do the salts and peas asap and look into getting some maracyn two as well if he does indeed have dropsy! good luck to you I hope you save him let me know how it goes!

Also for the next couple weeks don't starve your fish but under feed them if you can. but the peas should help as well IME :)

When my black spot barbs get spawning crazy things happen. Ive had females get so eggfull they look dropsyish and eyes get get damaged and look popeyed. On top of the other advice id also see at what temp these guys spawn, adjust the heater just in case you've got an eggbound female.

Its only dropsy if the scales are sticking out like a pinecone. You said your tank params are fine, but can you please define "fine?"
Pop-eye on just one side often indicates an injury, but when accompanied by the bloat, I tend to think you have a worse problem. Frequent, big pwc will help though no matter what other course of treatment you also try. Also, beware that you will need to remove the snails if you do the suggested treatments (assuming you want them and they aren't pests).

Back
Top Bottom