Blood Parrot Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 4 blood (or also known as red) cichlids today. I've never raised them before though. Does anybody have any advice?

Hi and welcome!
So you have 4 blood parrots in a 29g tank? What size are they? I'm afraid a 29 isn't going to be big enough for them. Is the tank cycled? If so how did you do it?

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome!
So you have 4 blood parrots in a 29g tank? What size are they? I'm afraid a 29 isn't going to be big enough for them. Is the tank cycled? If so how did you do it?

Asking same questions and what other fish are they with if any? Where did you get 29G? ^

They're about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long each. Online it said 29 gallons is enough same with at Pet Smart. My filter works great. This isn't my first time with fish. Just need advice on raising a new type i haven't raised before. I got the 29 gallon at Pet Co and works great!

smileyface9 said:
They're about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long each. Online it said 29 gallons is enough same with at Pet Smart. My filter works great. This isn't my first time with fish. Just need advice on raising a new type i haven't raised before. I got the 29 gallon at Pet Co and works great!

29G is boloney! Employee told me that but look up adult blood red parrots and they are huge! I'm getting bigger tank for mine they are in 29 also but I got 2.

smileyface9 said:
Oh yeah and no other fish yet. I moved on from my 10 gallon to a 29 gallon.

I upgraded the same way :) think blood ones need 55G or more IMO. (please correct me if wrong)

The sooner you get a larger tank the better because still needs to be cycled & needs about a 50% pwc a week or 4-5 days
Go to petco for that dollar for gallon sale

For 4 blood parrots, you will need a 100 gallon minimum tank size. They can reach the size of dinner plates. I have 3 in my 75 and won't even do 4 in that.

If you're going to go with 55 gallons, please return 2 of the parrots.

Welcome to AA! :)

I've gone ahead and moved your thread to FW and Brackish- General Discussion. This should help you to get more responses.

I do agree with what LyndaB told you. Those fish are going to need a much larger tank. You would be fine growing them out in a 55 gallon for a while, but you will eventually need a much larger tank for them.

Back
Top Bottom