Blood Parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gawang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been looking up a little information about these guys, I know they're a crossbreed/hybrid and some people consider them a touchy subject for that. However, I'd like to know you guy's personally experiences with them, what works feeding wise (Because of their beaks) and what other fish could comfortably live with them! Thanks!

I just got one this weekend (my wife liked him) so it was an impulse buy.
My LFS guy has had Tanks for 15 years and knows his stuff and felt like the Blood Parrot could work in my SA Tank. They also offered me to bring him back for a Credit if he/she did not work out.

Now I homed him/her not sure in a 60 gallon SA Cichlid Tank with 2 Juvenile Convicts and a small Oscar 3 1/2 inches. The Blood Parrot is the biggest at 4 inches. (I realize I'll need to get large Tanks soon, Fully aware) He/she is very skittish and after a day of establishing Territories...he/she is doing well. Honestly he hides when people walk by the tank. I have Big Rock formations made for him to fit. So for 3 days , I am happy with him, not aggressive great color. I guess it depends on the "personality" of your Tank. My guys are really laid back....so it works....I feed them Cichlid pellets and the occasional Frozen Brine shrimp...I like him

also no issues with the other guys.....they all Swim together side to side , when I am on the other side of the room. If you have the space they are a cool fish in my opinion.

I kept one with my Africans, and it was dead the next day and there was nothing wrong with the tank. They are really bad fighters :(

I have two of them. I quite like them. Mine have been in both a community setting and also in an semi aggressive tank with no issues. They follow me when ever I'm near the tank and eat from my hand. I feed mine a mix, blood worms as a treat, shrimp pellets, flake, cichlid pellets and as of recently seaweed treats.

I kept one with my Africans, and it was dead the next day and there was nothing wrong with the tank. They are really bad fighters :(

Well, your first problem was putting a non-african fish in with your africans. They probably took him down like wolves on a lamb.

Back
Top Bottom