Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

blood worm/population?....and a simple guppy question

As the population of my 29 gallon tank (there have been a few changes):

Two dwarf gourami
Two cory cats
Three neons
Three skirt tetras
Two platys
Three male guppies
and a frog

On to what I'm wondering........
I've been reading here that the frog needs blood worms and so I got some,the dehydrated kind in the can.Are the worms ok for every one to eat?And how can I be sure that the frog gets some?He does swim to the top when I feed flake,but he's usually late to the party.

The guppy question:
As you see I have three male guppies.Over the last few days I've read a post or two about male to female guppy ratios.Why is that needed and what is the ideal ratio?The gupps look good and behave fine....although I believe one is trying to mate the platy...(possible?)

I realize that adding females will generate fry and and whatever is not consumed will add to the population ect....I would rather avoid that ideally but I will do whats best for my existing fish.

Thanks guys.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
All male guppies are fine, the 3 to 1 comes into play when you mix the sexes to protect the females. You should fill out your tetra schools and maybe get a couple more cories.

I dont know about frogs but there is a recent thread in New Aquisitions about feeding them.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
The frogs would prefer frozen bloodworms as opposed to dried. There are a few methods to getting the frog his food. One is a turkey baster and suck up the worms and gently put them in front of the frog. That is how I do it. There is a thread on here that lists some other ideas like Rich mentioned.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood, guppy, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com