blood worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a difference between just frozen blood worms and freeze dried bloodworms as far as nutritional value? I have freeze dried bloodworms from Tetra. Are these worms sufficient enough to serve as the main meal because on the container it just says "treat" but then it says for energy and conditioning. Can someone help me with this? Regardless, the fish love them but seem to feed in shorter periods then if i just give flakes.

My understanding is that the nutritional content may be slightly better in the frozen ones, but not enough to matter much. The main functional difference is that some fish are pickier than others, and will not eat the freeze-dried stuff. If your fish are happy with the dry worms, use that. I like to give frozen stuff occasionally as a "treat". I do feed a mix of flakes, freeze-dried Daphnia, freeze-dried bloodworms and wafers to my fish. Some fish are more adapted to a vegetable diet, and some more carnivorous. If you have carnivores, then just blood worms would probably be OK. I would always recommend variety, so mix it up!

I have started occasionally sticking veggies in there (thanks Menagerie!), and my bristlenose and loaches gnaw at them!

Back
Top Bottom