Bloodfin Tetras jumping out the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive had 8 for well over a year now and went to an open top about 4 months ago. Within the last month or so 3 have jumped out. Tank is over 3 years old, no water chemistry problems, no other fish in the tank that would bother them, what can be causing this? Do they just like to randomly jump? Oh yeah, I'm down to 5 since 3 have jumped to their deaths. Also of note is that their are a ton of Brazilian pennywort I have as floating plants.. So they mm must've really wanted out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

if they were/are chasing around like crazy in the floating plants they may be spawning and could have jumped out because they got too excited.

if they were/are chasing around like crazy in the floating plants they may be spawning and could have jumped out because they got too excited.

Wow! Thanks. Didn't know this could happen. I've been beating myself up over what could possibly be causing this. Of course it could be something else I'm not picking up on but this sounds like it's likely the issue since water parameters are fine and the fish were not showing any signs of sickness. One issue on that though is it always happens during middle of night when the lights are off and the fish are "sleep". Shouldn't be any chasing going on should their be?

When fish that don't typically jump do so it is usually because they were either scared or chased by another fish and decide to escape......up.

Time for glass tops?

When fish that don't typically jump do so it is usually because they were either scared or chased by another fish and decide to escape......up.

Time for glass tops?

true, but bloodfins are ones that do get airborne occasionally when in the excitement of spawning as they try to cast their eggs into/over the floating plants.
My rummynose do the same thing and at the last second the female flips over and tries to cast the eggs almost out of the water at times.

true, but bloodfins are ones that do get airborne occasionally when in the excitement of spawning as they try to cast their eggs into/over the floating plants.
My rummynose do the same thing and at the last second the female flips over and tries to cast the eggs almost out of the water at times.
That is interesting. None of my tanks have ever had floating plants so I have never witnessed this behavior.

Is there anything happening that could startle them? Pets? Children? Construction in the area? Ghosts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there anything happening that could startle them? Pets? Children? Construction in the area? Ghosts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing, no kids or pets. Complete silence at night. No signs of illness or anything

Back
Top Bottom