bloom wont stop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 30gal fresh water tank for at least 13 years...my only filtration was the under the gravel kind. My water was always pristine and clear...I really just fed my fish sparingly, and add more water when it got low due to evaporation. Once a year I would vacume the gravel out and do a waterchange...thats it...it was bliss! Then about 8 weeks ago, one of side seams in the aquarium failed...so as I went to get a new tank, my hubby saved the fish and all the water from the old tank...I didn't really even wash the gravel or decor because I was hoping to save the BB I had had in the old tank. Set everything up in the new tank, and 3 days later I started getting a bloom...the next day I had a couple dead fish, water was way cloudy and smelled bad. Did a water change (maybe 40% with conditioner and stress zyme). Couple days later still cloudy..more dead fish!.It's been 8 weeks! Looks good for a day or two then cloudy...have been changing the water like every 4 of 5 days so I don't lose any more fish. I'm starting to get discouraged. I've never had to test water or anything before...but something is definitely not right with my tank...HELP!!!

Get yourself a uv sterilizer and enjoy crystal clear water

Are you saying that you did water changes once a year and only topped off to compensate for evaporation? If so, that is a recipe for failure. Water parameters will shift over time as certain substances accumulate. Fish will adjust to bad water parameters but it invites stress and susceptibility to disease. I’m thinking that the total tear down and recirculation of the accumulated waste in the substrate into the water column has created a bad environment for the fish. I would continue to change about 40-50% one or two times a week until things stabilize. Afterwards, perform WCs once a week.

Back
Top Bottom