BLOOMWORM Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a 40pk of frozen bloodworms for $5.99 at Petco today and defrosted a cube of it in a tiny cup of tank water and split it among my tanks... How much and often would you say is okay to give them? Approx how many worms per fish?

Mollies, platies, betta....

Seems awfully scientific to me. I generally give my community tank one cube every two days...whatever they don't get the cories do!

Depends on your stock level and your bottom feeders really though.

Cynic said:
Seems awfully scientific to me. I generally give my community tank one cube every two days...whatever they don't get the cories do!

Depends on your stock level and your bottom feeders really though.

29 gal- 7 mollies, 1 platy, 1 betta, 1 oto

20 gal- 15 1" juvie mollies

I generally feed Omega One Tropical Flakes every other day to adults and juvies eat 2xs per day..

For my guppy tank with 3 adults, about 5 older juveniles and a few young juveniles, plus a female betta, I feed maybe a quarter of a cube every 3 days or so, sometimes more often. Male Bettas get one bloodworm each, and then my puffers get the rest of the cube for their tank.

That should be fine, just make sure no one is getting bloated or constipated from all the protein. I feed the guppies less than I could to leave more for the puffers, as they get all frozen and fresh food while the guppies and Bettas readily eat flakes and pellets,so I want most of the cube to go to them. 3/4 of a cube should be ok once or twice a week.

Alyxx said:
That should be fine, just make sure no one is getting bloated or constipated from all the protein. I feed the guppies less than I could to leave more for the puffers, as they get all frozen and fresh food while the guppies and Bettas readily eat flakes and pellets,so I want most of the cube to go to them. 3/4 of a cube should be ok once or twice a week.

So maybe one day bloodworms, and every other day Omega One flakes as I've been doing?

Mix Up The Food Rotuntie.

Everyone likes change :)

Pellets Brime Bloodworm

Live Food

All sorts of different types of food!

If you look at the analysis of bloodworms, they are not very high in protein. They are mostly water (80% or more), so in order to get a similar amount of protein you would get feeding a dry food, you would have to feed 5 or 6 times as much.
"Not recommended as a single source of food due to its very low protein levels." came from the aquariumwiki based on Ocean Nutrition brand, which is around 8% protein. They also have about 4% fiber, but are not a complete food.I don't know where this thing about bloodworms being high protein came from, but it seems to have taken on a life of it's own, as I see it repeated often, in many places.

They are great for helping condition fish for spawning since you want a nice, well rounded female. They are also great as a treat or to help deliver certain types of meds (as we both well know) but as a main food source, not so much, same with brine shrimp. I use them as "filler" foods mainly. Our guys get fed their staple (my homemade foods) then the next day some bloodworm, brine, mysis whatever. I switch out every day, but they always get my food as their main since it has vitamin supplements added, other foods as fillers.

For your fry, once the cube melts I'd do a quick chop to make the pieces smaller, that one picture looked like it was choking on the worm :) and actually, fish can choke on food.

Back
Top Bottom