Blue German Ram VS Electric Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will a male BGR get along with a Male Electric Blue Ram? They would be a 20g with a few community fish (tetra & Guppies) and corys and otos. Thank you!

Two males? Doubt it especially in a 20. Someone's gonna get harassed and be killed.

I would try it, with the other tropicals acting as target fish they should leave each other alone. I would try to arrange the tank to allow each of them to have a individual territory, you may see a little chasing but likely that's it.

Last edited:
IME no, I had a male GBR and a male EBR in a heavily planted 75g and they fought a lot and eventually the GBR stressed the EBR to death. I highly advise against even trying it since the EBRs are generally more delicate so they're likely to be the loser in the battle and they cary a much higher monetary loss when it happens

I've been looking at all my lfs and I can't seem to find any of them, what website is trustworthy for the rams? And sort of cheep

I have a 220 100% planted tank and started with 11 GBR-Gold-EB rams and had no end of aggression issues between males. I've kept Rams for several years and find ram males to remain happier and healthier when not kept with other males. Yes it can be done but often it is at the cost of alot of stress to one or more of the fish. I can only relate what I've experienced with these fish.

I have a 220 100% planted tank and started with 11 GBR-Gold-EB rams and had no end of aggression issues between males. I've kept Rams for several years and find ram males to remain happier and healthier when not kept with other males. Yes it can be done but often it is at the cost of alot of stress to one or more of the fish. I can only relate what I've experienced with these fish.

I've found that the more rams the better but your right everyones different. Prob better when their juvies so they can grow together

Actually rams tend to gain more aggressive tendencies as they age/mature. Just because you start with all young ones doesn't mean aggression levels won't increase as they mature. Keeping several females can be alittle easier as their aggression levels towards each other usually aren't nearly as intense as males.

Actually rams tend to gain more aggressive tendencies as they age/mature. Just because you start with all young ones doesn't mean aggression levels won't increase as they mature. Keeping several females can be alittle easier as their aggression levels towards each other usually aren't nearly as intense as males.

In my experience to many females can get agressive with one another, even worse than males. It depends on the individual. I have heard of males all getting along and I have heard female killed all her tankmates

Your right, but I've encountered a couple breeders who say that with the right numbers they will school and aggression is almost non existent. But that prob means A LOT of rams lol

Your right, but I've encountered a couple breeders who say that with the right numbers they will school and aggression is almost non existent. But that prob means A LOT of rams lol

The highest number I've ever kept together is 13 and that still wasn't enough... lol!

The highest number I've ever kept together is 13 and that still wasn't enough... lol!

The breeder I get my rams from keeps 50+ in a ten gallon. Sounds horrible if you ask me and they are prob all juvies but still. But the ones I got are healthy and beautiful so he must be doing something right.

Those are probably juvies though. There's a difference between what breeders do and what hobbyists should do. Breeders can afford to think short-term when putting fish in tanks like that, but it would be irresponsible for a hobbyist to do.

In my experience with Rams, they're best if lightly stocked with as few males as you can. Any more than one and you set up a fishy powder keg wherein you could get a violent situation develop fairly quickly. While I appreciate that you've had the success that you've had, its probably not good general advice.

A lot of this comes down to stocking/fish keeping philosophy as well. In my opinion, too many people ask questions like "how many can I get away with?" when stocking their tank rather than "how many should I have?" or "what balance of fish is a better long term prospect/more peaceful/healthier?". I'm not insinuating that one philosophy is inherently better than the other, but rather that there are more questions that should be asked more often when setting up a tank/deciding stocking.

Those are probably juvies though. There's a difference between what breeders do and what hobbyists should do. Breeders can afford to think short-term when putting fish in tanks like that, but it would be irresponsible for a hobbyist to do.

In my experience with Rams, they're best if lightly stocked with as few males as you can. Any more than one and you set up a fishy powder keg wherein you could get a violent situation develop fairly quickly. While I appreciate that you've had the success that you've had, its probably not good general advice.

A lot of this comes down to stocking/fish keeping philosophy as well. In my opinion, too many people ask questions like "how many can I get away with?" when stocking their tank rather than "how many should I have?" or "what balance of fish is a better long term prospect/more peaceful/healthier?". I'm not insinuating that one philosophy is inherently better than the other, but rather that there are more questions that should be asked more often when setting up a tank/deciding stocking.

I agree, I guess certain practices can only attribute to proper experience.

I've been looking at all my lfs and I can't seem to find any of them, what website is trustworthy for the rams? And sort of cheep

If you have a privately owned fish store near you then they might do special orders! If not then I would google the best fish ordering website.

Back
Top Bottom