Blue gill fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter4158098

Aquarium Advice Activist
What can any one tell me about them? Can't really find to much as far as aquarium wise? How big a tank? Aggressive or not? Ect ect..

Any body know. My daughter went fishing and brought home six of them and is keeping them in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 55 gallon. Tank 5 serpae 5 black skirt 5 xray and 5 blood fin all tetras would they be dinner for blue fins?

Skeeter4158098 said:
Any body know. My daughter went fishing and brought home six of them and is keeping them in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 55 gallon. Tank 5 serpae 5 black skirt 5 xray and 5 blood fin all tetras would they be dinner for blue fins?

Well not to mention the danger of infection, contamination and disease etc from a wild fish to your tank, I used to catch bluegills in Tennessee for dinner. They are a type of panfish/sunfish to my knowledge and would easily eat your fish if they are large enough.

I think 6 would be too many for a 55. Especially since it's a wild fish and they can get pretttty big in the wild.

And yeah my bet is they'll eat small fish.

Thats what I figured. Was just trying to see if I could rescue them from being stuffed in a 10 gallon. Guess she will have to learn the hard way. They are at her moms house were they live and the mom wont fork any cash for them so no substrate no heater and no filter and I guess she caught a frog to. Lol. She kept saying she wanted a fish tank when she would come over and see mine lol. Feel bad for the fish. Sometimes kids have to learn the hard way. She is 13 after all.

Skeeter4158098 said:
Thats what I figured. Was just trying to see if I could rescue them from being stuffed in a 10 gallon. Guess she will have to learn the hard way. They are at her moms house were they live and the mom wont fork any cash for them so no substrate no heater and no filter and I guess she caught a frog to. Lol. She kept saying she wanted a fish tank when she would come over and see mine lol. Feel bad for the fish. Sometimes kids have to learn the hard way. She is 13 after all.

Well she can use her own substrate IE river rock and whatever else and will need a filter they are dirty fish like an Oscar but the could manage without a heater I imagine.

Lonestarbandit said:
Well she can use her own substrate IE river rock and whatever else and will need a filter they are dirty fish like an Oscar but the could manage without a heater I imagine.

And as far as filter. She is doing water changes every day. "Shakes head" oh well.

Sorry to be so harsh but they are toast if you dont get them out of that 10 gallon they are probly getting ammonia burns as I type they are going to suffer a terrible death

Greenphantom said:
Sorry to be so harsh but they are toast if you dont get them out of that 10 gallon they are probly getting ammonia burns as I type they are going to suffer a terrible death

I know. Trying to help. Can't put them in my tank my fish would be toast. And like I said she is 13. And between her and her mother they won't listen. Told her she needs a dinner then there they are.

Greenphantom said:

Let's put the brakes on the drama train shall we. People eat these fish. I'm sure that's not very comfortable for them either. Best thing would be to get her to let them go after a short enjoyment period. IE explain if she doesn't have the equipment to care for them they need to go "home" or they will die. If that doesn't work, you tried.

Lonestarbandit said:
Let's put the brakes on the drama train shall we. People eat these fish. I'm sure that's not very comfortable for them either. Best thing would be to get her to let them go after a short enjoyment period. IE explain if she doesn't have the equipment to care for them they need to go "home" or they will die. If that doesn't work, you tried.

Yea definatley we eat them but when I eat them I kill them right away not slowly let them suffer and die slow:( thats all I meant and yes they are yummy

Greenphantom said:
Yea definatley we eat them but when I eat them I kill them right away not slowly let them suffer and die slow:( thats all I meant and yes they are yummy

Butter and lemon pepper :(. So delicious.

Whatever you do, do not reintroduce them into the pond/lake/wherever they came from.

meegosh said:
I don't see the joke in my post....

Introducing fish back into the wild is a good way to spread diseases. Not to mention, I hate blue gill. ;)

Because thats where they came from they can go back. Nothing ecologically changes. Man some of you guys on here are uptight. And I love bluegill. As mentioned before. They are a bit bony but go great in a butter reduction seasoned with lemon pepper. Perhaps before being overcome with urban legend you would care to read what some learned Doctors of Biology have to say on the subject. If I might direct your attention to subsection release http://www.fgcu.edu/ORSP/Compliance/USF_IACUC_paper.pdf

Back
Top Bottom