Blue Green Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader-Of-The-Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone. Recently I have found what I think is blue-green algae in my freshwater 10 gallon aquarium. I took some picture for hope that some of you can confirm it and offer me a solution on how to minimize/eliminate it. Here are some pictures of the tank.

img_2063297_0_acd4e9b736f404a9749e8819e5f05a00.jpg

img_2063297_1_ac836f74616c2c41ed9dcb6b9ee526e6.jpg

img_2063297_2_8e10cc14ebcbff1e70d0b3ca79dedafa.jpg

img_2063297_3_28a3c4fe8a3f453523d267aba025b69a.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Well, I don't know if it is actually blue green algae, but if it is, I heard it can be hard to permanently remove. Blue-Green Algae is not an algae, it is a cynobacteria, so algae eaters like snails and plecos will not eat it. I suggest you maybe get something like algaefix? I haven't had much experience with this. What are your water parameters? High levels of dissolved waste can be a big contributor. How long do you leave the light on each day? How many watts is the bulb?

It is cyanobacteria. On an unrelated note, nice pictures. It's so clear.

bettaowner said:
It is cyanobacteria. On an unrelated note, nice pictures. It's so clear.

Ya those pictures look great what are you shooting with?

bud29 said:
Let's get back to helping the OP. Those are nice pics, but he still needs a remedy for what we have now identified as cynobactera.

Until your original questions are answered then we can't give him a remedy ;)

3 day blackout, water param test, and a good substrate cleaning. I would have waited to say that until he answered to be more specific instead of naming off some remdies, but we can still say that as a starting point. Now we really can't do much 'til he comes on.

This has happened to me in the past. To get rid of it I suggest taking the fish out and keeping them in a buckut along with your filter media. bleach the entire tank and all ornaments. Then throw out your substrate and buy new grevel. Fill the tank back up add the fish and dose API erythromicyn. Once you have finished with the erythromicyn add your new substrate. You may need to do this more than once so only add new substrate once your tank has been algae free for 2 weeks.

good luck

IME the black out method does not work for cyanobacteria

I had a cyano outbreak in my 10 gal tank after changing to stronger lights and over feeding my fish and I managed to spread it to 2 other tanks via sharing a syphon. I physically removed all that I could see (syphon a lot and then use a net to catch what floats in the water after you dislodge it) and reduced feeding and then lights, finally trying a 3 day blackout. It came back as strong as ever.

I treated all 3 tanks with Maracyn--erythromicyn--and it's been gone for good. If you go that route, watch for an ammonia spike as the cyano dies off.

Back
Top Bottom