Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blue/Green water blues

Well I finally got my phosphate levels tested a week ago and they are fine according to my LFS. In fact, the good tank had higher levels but they were both at trace levels. I have tried everything from a lot less food to massive water changes every other day and nothing. I am thinking it is a side effect of removing the undergravel but I'm not sure.

I am left with the only true cure of cyclcing my new tank and then putting the fish in there and starting that tank over again?

I moved my java fern to another tank and they are thriving. Finally see fresh roots, fresh vigorous growth and happy plants. The elodia in the blue green tank seems to be doing fine but it isn't near as healthy looking as the other tank.

Is there one last ditch effort to get rid of the blue/green problem or am I left with the last cure, the dreaded tear down and restart?

Old 10-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

check my post, see what worked for me....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...017&highlight=

Old 10-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I don't know if it is working for sure but the water is clearing up. The only thing that has changed, I took the aquaview out of the tank. I am really beginning to love the AquaClear because it is so easy to clean. No turning it off and tearing it down. Just take out the sponge tray, rinse in tank water and your done! What an easier way to go. Will keep it up to date if the water keeps getting clearer.

Also, since I put in the AC, my anacharis is throwing out roots like crazy and the java moss has finally started to grow like it should. Just shows that quality filtration can make a huge difference in any tank, especially mine.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
look into testing for PO4..
tapwater and overfeeding are the most likely sources..
If you dont have plants keeping your PO4 levels at zero is the only long term method of getting rid of green water IMO.. It comes back if the cause of the PO4 is not found and delt with.. HTH

Tags
green water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com