Blue Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay so I need some help, please!
The past day or two he's been moving things around to his liking, cool right?
I noticed he had been focusing on one of the fake plants and pretty much took all the rocks out from underneath it.
Now today allllll day he's been sitting under the plant. Haven't seen him move at all.. It's too dark underneath there to really see what he's doing I could only see the tip of his tail.
I even dropped a pellet in there for him and nothing. Just sat under the plant.

I had my water checked a couple days ago and all was well.. Any ideas on what's going on??

I noticed he had been focusing on one of the fake plants and pretty much took all the rocks out from underneath it.
Now today allllll day he's been sitting under the plant. Haven't seen him move at all.. It's too dark underneath there to really see what he's doing I could only see the tip of his tail.

I had my water checked a couple days ago and all was well.. Any ideas on what's going on??

sounds like its being a crayfish. They spend most of the daytime under a rock, out of sight.

I've only seen blue lobsters as blue, I didn't know that they turn blue, I assumed they were always blue. Every crayfish I've had (4 different types), when young, has always looked like a miniature version of the adult. But I've never had a blue one.

To me, that looks like a marbled crayfish.

I am going to agree, I have two blue lobsters, 3 orange, a white, and a red swamp crayfish and all were colored up when they were young and won't ever lose their color due to stress. It looks like a marble crayfish to me as well. Did you get it somewhere you can trust, maybe they had both and they accidentally grabbed a marbled. I wouldn't get your hopes up for it turning blue

That's what they will do, I make a cave in the front with some flat rocks. This way they hide right were I can see them. When they get more comfortable they will roam the tank.

He moulted!! haha
I managed to get a picture but it's not too clear because I had to reach around the tank to take it.
Still the same colour it looks..
I got it from someone on Kijiji he said it was an Electric Blue Lobster.
Can't say I trust the guy, don't know him, but he seemed pretty honest.
Also, when I went to get my RCS the guy also had what he said were blue lobsters but he said it'll be a year before they turn blue.
Pretty confusing I've heard:
one month
one year
it's not even a blue lobster..

Anyone that has a Blue Crayfish want to chime in? I hope it's not a marbled one..

Attachments

• molt.jpg
    molt.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 50
I've seen juvenile blue crayfish in stores only 3 inches long. Depending on the species, they get up to 6 inches long. Honestly, if it was a true blue crayfish like Procambarus alleni or P. clarkii, I'm pretty sure it would already be blue. Depending on what you feed it it can get a blueish hue, but I wouldn't hold out hope that it turns blue.

Usually they will lose color with stress, but will regain it soon after being settled into their new tank. After a molt, and the exoskeleton is still brown (and splotchy) I would say its a marmokreb. Watch to see if it starts to reproduce on its own. Thats a trait of the marbled crayfish.

Well that's kind of a bummer.
I looked up Marbled Crayfish and they look exactly like mine so looks like that's it eh..
I'll try to get another picture one of these days if he comes out so maybe you can tell.
Question though.. It's been almost a day now since the moult and I see the old shell just sitting in the back of the tank. I've heard that they eat their shells and it's good for them, so how long should I wait before taking it out, if at all?

I take mine put immediately never seen them eat it. As for it being a marble I would contact the guy and tell him. Maybe it was an honest mistake

Okay thanks guys, I took the skeleton out :)
I also emailed the guy I got him from to be sure what it is.
In the case that it's a marbled crayfish, does that mean less aggressive? And that also means it'll self reproduce?? Like one day I'll wake up and there'll be a bunch of crayfish crawling around? I don't know if I like that very much.. lol

before you have a hundred little crayfish crawling around you will see tons of eggs on the swimmeretes under the tail for a week. They make good food for the rest of your tank mates. Most likely you will only end up with one or two if you never take out the young. The strongest will kill and eat the weak.

Back
Top Bottom