Blue lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can you have a blue lobster in with cichlids? My husband is catching MTS and would love to get one. I told him not until I do my research. He hasn't quite learned the value of researching this before buying yet. But he's getting there.

Yeah, blue lonsters (aka crayfish) need their own home unfortunately. If you put them in with other fish, eventually someone is bound to be eaten. In your husband's case, I'd place my bet on the cichlids having a nice blue lobster dinner.

Also, crayfish don't do as well in a heated tank.

Around here those blue lobsters cost between $15-20 so it would really stink to buy one and have it get eaten the first time it molts. Or have the lobster hurt/kill one of the existing cichlids during its nightly hunting.

What is the minimum tank size for lobster or crayfish? I may just have to get yet another tank. LOL :lol:

Zagz said:
What is the minimum tank size for lobster or crayfish? I may just have to get yet another tank. LOL :lol:

Depends on the species, as various crays range from 2"-10", but for the average 4"-6" cray, a 15 would be sufficient.

I have had one of these guys for about 2 months now in a 10 gallon heated with 2 apple snails and 4 phantom tetra.
So far so good even in that tight of a space. The tetra are only a short term addition to the tank, originally to help it cycle, but since they seem to be too fast for him, they have stayed until i can find them a better place to go.
The blue cray does have quite the personality and can move quite quickly when other fish try to eat "his" food. All the food is "his"by the way.
As he grows i would expect almost any fish to ultimately get injured in a small tank with him around. They dont seem to have much fear and only rear up and try to pinch at other larger fish ass a self defense mechanism. I feed large crayfish to my Puffers once a week and have witnessed their bravery often. I would not put them with any fish i really wanted to keep.

I kept a Zebra Lobster for over 1 year in my twenty gallon with cichlids...the peaceful ones, like 1 severum, 2 keyholes, and 1 blood parrot....No problems, but if you give introduce a blue lobster to a tank with some of the more aggressive ones, like firemouths, convicts, dempseys, etc. the lobster will be destroyed, as I found out when I tried to put a 2" blue in a tank with 2 convicts, 1 texas, and 2 firemouth...

Also, blue lobsters get sort of big, 5-7", so plan on that as well...If you want a lobster, try a zebra lobster, mine was extremely active( he used to climb the plants to the edges of the leaves, without tearing them!, and wave his claws around!); he virtually ruled the aquarium! Plus, they only grow to a max. size of 4", which is perfect....

Also, get som pellet food, like shrimp, that sinks to the bottom quickly so he can feed...Plus, for housing, find two rocks, from a garden or construction site, clean them, and place them in the tank forming a cave...They like to hide about half the time so they need something all their own...One last tip is to give the pelelts after feeding flakes to the fish, as they will consume the pellets as they sink to the bottom.

Ahhh yabbies!! (Lobster must be an American term for them). I used to catch these guys near my house when I was younger and I got a few blue ones too! ;)

I keep 6 in my 240L (64gal) tank with some cories, cats, comets, black moores, and rainbows - and they all get along nicely. Yabbies are fairly calm and usually only attack your fish if they pester the yabby.

Contrary to popular belief, blue yabbies aren't ultimately rare, as I've mentioned I caught a few in the creek near my house. Yabbies shed their shell/skin and are generally coloured by the water they are in. If you keep a yabby in pristine water, there's a better chance it will turn out blue - but kept in dirty water can turn a blue yabby (also called 'electric yabby') dull.

Also, just a tip - it's best to underfeed a yabby than over feed it. They can actually go for about a month without food, so it's unlikely you will stare it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom