Blue Lobsters....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
So yesterday my boyfriend gave me a bag of sinking carnivor pellets...my first thought "is this some kind of joke?" This morning he came over to my house and woke me up to show me my channuka present. What do you know a blue lobester that he already named Loby. I think it was more a present for himself than me haha. Well in any case the lobester is floating in his bag in the 55 gal. I have no idea what to do with him...I figure he would probably feel most comfortable in my 55 wich has a sand substrate, he is only 2" big so i dont think he could eat any of my fish. I also have a 10 gal not set up that he could occupy for a little bit.

Any ideas?
Is he ok in the 55?
Also, anyone have some good basic info on them?

http://www.crayfishshop.com/images/chris-procambarus-alleni-freshwater-blue-lobster-crayfish.jpg

there is the best picture i can find of what he looks like ( i misplaced my camera oops)

I second the 10 gal. The crayfish would have plenty of room and it would be safest for all involved if he lived alone.

They love sinking pellets and will even take them right out of your hand.
here's a great website all about crayfish.
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/

I will thrid the 10....bichirs love crayfish/lobsters....and he will not be big enough to keep himself safe for some time. Speaking of the bichir, he will love those carnivore pellets, too.

Make sure you have a nice tight canopy on the 10Gal, a friend had a "hunt for caryfish" day, found it in his daughters closet (a good 30' walk) beyond help.. it climbed out of the tank through an opening in the top by the filter.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Make sure you have a nice tight canopy on the 10Gal, a friend had a "hunt for caryfish" day, found it in his daughters closet (a good 30' walk) beyond help.. it climbed out of the tank through an opening in the top by the filter.

Good point...I found one from my kitchen tank in my upstairs bathroom one morning....none the worse for wear, thank goodness.

Thanks for the replies, and the site is really helpful. I have a section of the 55 divided off for the lil guy until i get my 10 set back up. he doesn't do much during the day but at night he scurries around like crazy. Its fun to watch him go after the pellets really interesting... :D

I keep a Blue Knight Crayfish (Thanks Toirtis) in a 5.5 gallon tank ... he is REALLY happy there.

i think i am going to go get a new tank on monday if not sooner. My 10gal i have now is well...a little beat up. I have had it sense i was 3 probably, and has had everything from newts to lots of goldfish to puffers in it. It also was decorated with some lovely stickers haha. I think i will also just get the 5.5 gal tank because it would make my parents a little less upset with a new tank. They were a little crazy when i had 3 tanks running. hehe MTS has taken over my bedroom :mrgreen:

Anything else i need?
Is it ok to plant the tank?
Filters, heaters, lights?

feeder fish, occasionally 1 will be fast enough to survive. I wouldn't put anything that you would miss in there..

mollies might be ok if they stay at the top and there are no objects the crayfish can climb to reach them.

I don't plan to keep him with anything, and if i do it will be some feeder fish. Nothing to special.

Back
Top Bottom