Blue or Bolivian Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheMurrays said:
What would be a healthy diet for them? We feed shrimp pellets mostly... We have a lot of bottom feeders.

Anything you give your other community fish, flakes, pellets, frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. Mine go nuts for frozen bloodworms. They also enjoy garden worms if your into that.

just to throw in my two cents, i like to do 25% changes evenly spaced during the week for my ram tank

I'm also 100% sure that these are GBR's, correctly identified as Microgeophagus ramirezi by severum mama. I am 100% sure the fish on the left in the pic is a male but would like more pics before sexing the other one.

NLS is a great brand...I feed NLS cichlid 1mm sinking pellets to my rams when I keep them. They also get frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, flake beef heart, etc. 30% water changes 2-3 times per week and they will do just fine.

severum mama said:
100% positive these are blue rams (microgeophagus ramirezi) and not bolivian rams (microgeophagus altispinosa). Their color is quite washed out now, no doubt from stress. It should improve shortly.

Agreed. These are 100% GBRs. Here's a Bolivian.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120212_221402.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120212_221402.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 55
Lifeoffroad said:
Agreed. These are 100% GBRs. Here's a Bolivian.

Here's a better pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120212_221626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120212_221626.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
Thanks, guys! They are doing good so far. They like hiding in our plants and hanging out by the heater. Our tank's temp read around 74 degrees. My husband turned it up, and still the temp is the same... So he will probably be getting an additional heater. At least it seems as though they have found the heat source and are staying warm. :)

I'm also 100% sure that these are GBR's, correctly identified as Microgeophagus ramirezi by severum mama. I am 100% sure the fish on the left in the pic is a male but would like more pics before sexing the other one.

I'll see if I can get more pics, but they are very shy! Thanks for sexing one, at least.

TheMurrays said:
Thanks, guys! They are doing good so far. They like hiding in our plants and hanging out by the heater. Our tank's temp read around 74 degrees. My husband turned it up, and still the temp is the same... So he will probably be getting an additional heater. At least it seems as though they have found the heat source and are staying warm. :)

Oh yeah, definitly get another and try to get that temp to around 78-80

TheMurrays said:

If you live in a cold area I found covering my aquarium at night kept the temp up to the desired level. My temp would drop at night due to it being in front of a window.

We bought an additional heater, and now the temp is around 78. :) Our rams are super shy, but if we leave the room dark with just the tank light on they will come out and eat and swim around. Their color is more vivid and they seem to be doing well!

TheMurrays said:
We bought an additional heater, and now the temp is around 78. :) Our rams are super shy, but if we leave the room dark with just the tank light on they will come out and eat and swim around. Their color is more vivid and they seem to be doing well!

Great! They are a beautiful species.

Back
Top Bottom