Blue paradise fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i recently bought 3 blue paradise fish (2 male and 1 female) for my 55 gallon tank. i keep them with 10 zebra danios 2 albino corys and 3 adfs. i was reading up on them and got various facts about them, i know that males fight i know that they eat smaller fish, but i also saw alot of ppl say that they had luck keeping 4 or more of them in a community tank with no male fighting, no eating of smaller fish and that they are relatviely peaceful fish. im getting some mixed signals, and i wanna know if i will be ok with the set up i have(10 zebra danios, 2 albino corys, 3 african dwarf frogs(55 gallon tank))? i have lots of hiding places, but i plan on getting more plants. they are by far the biggest fish in my tank but they dont seem to be messing with anyone yet, not even with eachother, iv had them for a day. the petstore keeps alot of them in close vecinity, and i monotored all the fish for a while before makeing my choice, none were fighting. i also noticed when u look closely they have microscopic bubbles on them, i would even say they look like sparkles(but its hard to tell), does not resemble ich but i wanna know if this is cause for concern?

Paradise fish (males) will fight just as their cousins the Bettas will.....Two males will also harass a single female to death.....In many cases they both may become vigorous nippers to any of the fish they can catch......I have seen them in ten foot dia X six inch deep pools for breeding and only there have I seen large numbers of them seem to get along...............But, anything is possible;-)

well its been 2 days now and there still pretty relax the males stay together but there not nipping eachother just kinda staying together. and the female seems to be haveing fun, so i dont know what to think, i guess we'll see what happens

they are very beautiful fish, and i dont know bout other ppls reports but iv seen alot of good reports like i said, and im thinking it might be becuase they are petstore bred, so they have to get use being in a tank with a few of them around. i rescued them from a 40 gallon tank with about 40 of them. there in my 55 gallon now, and like i said seem happy, im adding more plants today to kind of split the tank. and im still wondering about the sparkles or microscopic bubbles(hard to tell), there hard to see but u have to wait til there in the light to see them in the right reflection then u see the full color of everything, but are the sparkles part of there look?

ok, so i ditched those fish, you were right......i was wrong(sorry to say). they ate an eyeball out of each of my albino corys, there not looking to good, no odd activity, wound looks a little red but only because it was done today, so condition cant quite be determined yet. i got home from school and immediately brought them(blue paradise fish) back, the female couldnt even stop hiding. when i went to the fish store i gave the owner **** and told him "if i dont see you change that tag from community to semi aggressive or even aggressive i will take this to your head office and make sure its changed". that scared the **** out of them, and the guy i talked to was pretty surprised of the label because he was as well aware of there behaviour and knew they were violent, so they changed it, and i got 2 mollys a swordtail platy and another albino cory, thought he might make the other 2 feal better. they all seem good now my frogs arent hiding, so im gona try to feed them right now and i wanna know if i should just youthanise my poor corys, put them out of there misery. i will wait to see if there condition improves before jumping the gun. but just a thought.

Agree with the comments above - I had a trio in a community tank and they were pretty much b@stards - to each other and anything else in the tank. While they're pretty, their ability to play well with others keeps them off of my list for desirable residents of my tanks...

ya i got my self 2 mollys, 1 swordtail platy, and one ablino cory. its wierd my 2 one eyed albino corys are doin great, my water quality is good and there eating, but the new cory i bought died sometime last night, it looked really pale to begin with, but ya im goin back today to get a refund, and i think im gonna get another balloon molly, and another swordtail, i love my swordtail but he looks sad without another friend to play with.

Back
Top Bottom