Blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erin Sarah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got two blue rams and was wanting to know any information on them, anything will help as I don't know much about them

They are very vulnerable to water chemistry, they like places to hide sometimes but will be out most of the time, mine was fine with every other tank member except when breeding they can get vary aggressive and the male can sometimes harass the female a bit so make sure she can hide, I think if you have 2 males they fight unless you have a very large tank. umm apart from that just give them a healthy varied diet to bring their colour out to its best and enjoy them :) they are beautiful fish I miss mine sometimes. Anything else you need to know?

If you have a male and female the chances are they may breed. It depends because unlike other egglayers these fish might not breed if just put in the tank with the opposite sex. Yes like mentioned, water quality is the key to keeping them. Mine are at ammonia 0 ppm nitrite: 0ppm and nitrate : 5 ppm. A varied diet really does give you the full potential of their colour.

If they do happen to lay eggs don't get all excited right away. They most likely will eat the eggs. It's gonna take them a few batches to become better parents.

I used to feed mine mainly frozen brine shrimp with added garlic or sprulina and blood worm and I had some like tropical pellets instead of flakes designed to bring out colour but can't remember the brand. Anything is ok the only thing I would stay away from is frozen tubifex worm as IME they carry a lot of parasites. Good luck with your new fish :)

I feed mine flake food in the morning then either frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworm in the evening

Samzter said:
I feed mine flake food in the morning then either frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworm in the evening

How often do they need to be feed, I feed my fish every second day because they cause to much nitrate otherwise, should I be feeding twice a day

I don't think it matters. I am feeding them this much because their a breeding pair. All the other fish get some as well. How often do you do a water change? I do two 40% water changes a week and my nitrate is at 5ppm

I fed mine one a day but I agree with samzter it doesn't really matter if they get hungry they will graze on bits of algae and stuff they come across and water parameters are more important to them than lots of food.

Back
Top Bottom