Blue ram in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I had two rams in a mid-cycled 40 gallon tank. I thought they were ok since I do water changes often and my ammonia is basically 0 but one of my rams died this morning. All the other fish (5 danios, 1 male platy) show no signs of stress, but rams are a bit more sensitive. I have another cycled tank but there are already some fish in there and it would be overstocked a bit if I put in the ram. Which is safer?

Also I'm at school right now, what are the chances of the last ram dying? He looked fine this morning and I think the other ram that died was already sick because its stomach was a bit whiter and bigger

Rams are really delicate fish, I won't preach to but rams need a mature tank with low nitrates too, do you check those often? I hope your other ram is ok

:nono: It may not die today, but it has an almost 100% chance of dieing before the cycle ends, sorry.

They are just too delicate. It is best to wait a couple months after the tank has cycled to add them.

I'd "slowly" acclimate the remaining ram to the other tank as one fish isn't going to hurt. But if there was any damage from ammonia or nitrites the ram still could be ill fated. It will have better odds of pulling through in the mature tank. Just remember to acclimate it slowly as it's already stressed.

I'd "slowly" acclimate the remaining ram to the other tank as one fish isn't going to hurt. But if there was any damage from ammonia or nitrites the ram still could be ill fated. It will have better odds of pulling through in the mature tank. Just remember to acclimate it slowly as it's already stressed.

I'm home now and he is fine. But I am a bit confused, how do I acclimate him? Also I have two sick plates in the cycled tank but none of the other fish seem bad so I'm assuming it won't spread

Well don't move him if you have sick fish in the other tank. Never assume something can't "spread", the ram is already stressed from being in a cycling tank and that makes it more prone to get sick.

What do you do when you bring new fish home and add them to your tank? The process of floating the bag with fish and slowly adding tank water over a period of time is acclimating. I use a drip line to acclimate new fish to a new tank. Acclimate means to become accustomed to a new condition, in this instance new tank water.

Well don't move him if you have sick fish in the other tank. Never assume something can't "spread", the ram is already stressed from being in a cycling tank and that makes it more prone to get sick.

What do you do when you bring new fish home and add them to your tank? The process of floating the bag with fish and slowly adding tank water over a period of time is acclimating. I use a drip line to acclimate new fish to a new tank. Acclimate means to become accustomed to a new condition, in this instance new tank water.

Yeah I float the fish in bags for about 15 minutes but will that affect disease?

So should I just keep the ram in there? Didn't someone say they'd die from the cycle? I feel stupid for not waiting enough

I'm not sure what you mean by "will that affect disease" but you don't ever want to introduce fish into a tank that has unhealthy fish in it. Just leave him in the tank, do alot of WC's to keep the ammonia and nitrites to .25 or below and hope he is strong enough to make it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "will that affect disease" but you don't ever want to introduce fish into a tank that has unhealthy fish in it. Just leave him in the tank, do alot of WC's to keep the ammonia and nitrites to .25 or below and hope he is strong enough to make it.

Sorry I was just a bit confused but I understand your point. I am dosing the sick fish with aquarium salt and I'm doing water changes often. One looks pretty bad and it's really skinny, the other one looks curable. Is there anything else I could do?

So should I just keep the ram in there? Didn't someone say they'd die from the cycle? I feel stupid for not waiting enough

Everyone in this hobby makes mistakes... we are human after all and not perfect. There is no guarantee the ram will die. Just do as I said about WC's and monitor your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and hopefully the ram will be strong enough to make it. All you can do at this time is try to keep levels in the safe zone. But adding him in the other tank with sick fish would be a very bad thing.

Salt isn't good to use with Rams and without seeing the fish or knowing what is wrong with it I can't really suggest what you can do to treat them.

Hey everyone the ram looks fine he is constantly inspecting each plant in the tank and so far there is no flashing, sitting, fin clamping or unusual swimming pattern. I will keep up with the consistent water changes and tests! Thank you for your help RiverCats

When you acclimate instead of just floating the bag slowly add the new tanks water to the water the fish is already in so that it can get used to the new parameters its going to be in. Basically less chance of shocking a fish tossing it from one water to another. :) happy your ram is doing good!!!

Ahhhh! He is just starting to get ick, still no signs of unhappiness but I want to get rid of it ASAP. Any advice? Salt? Bigger water changes?

Post in the unhealth fish forum to see how high you need to raise your water temp to and how long to leave it that high.

Back
Top Bottom