Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

?blue tiger barbs????

hi
we went into a new lfs(kilburn london uk) the other day & spotted some rather strange looking fish. they were called blue tiger barbs, they were a little like albino tigers except were much more 'see thru' as you could see all their insides 8O & they had a weird blue tinge to their fins & tail. are these poor injected/dyed fish?? or are they natural??? the same shop also had 'red tailed corys' which were like albino corys but with a very odd cerise coloured tail fin - are these natural?? certainly didnt look very natural to me, but id like to know (before i start giving the owners a hard time!!!)

Old 11-09-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Dyed fish. Poor lil babies

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

awww, immoral people shall go to hell!!!!!
*QT* 3 goldies
Pond - 1100 gals approx. [in progress]
robotcholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a question about this. I have an "albino tiger" that is very orange-red. When I got him, his whole body was the color of a tiger barb's nose, and you could see the lighter stripes pretty well. At the time I bought him, I thought it was just some kind of genetic abberation... a product of selective breeding. The color was bright but not impossible, given the bright orange of the tiger barbs' noses and fins.

As he has grown, his color has become lighter - although he is still darker than your average "albino" tiger. He has always been very healthy, and it never occurred to me that he might have been dyed... I didn't even know that they dyed tiger barbs!

There is a picture of my guy in my gallery... although it's not really clear - you try getting tiger barbs to sit still! I'd like to know if this kind of color is produced by dying or if it is just some cool mutation. I don't want to knowingly buy any dyed fish, and want to know what to avoid in the future...

Thanks

Tags
barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com