BN breeder cave, How Big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I know he likes the make shift cave that is actually my planter because once he found it he spend a lot of time under it. The question is, how big of a cave do I need to have so he is happy and will encourage the female to enter it when the time is right. I can make any cave at my parents ceramic shop so getting the right one is easy

He is 5 inches long from tip to tail. I was thinking a cave 8 inches long, 6 inches wide and 4 inches high would be more than enough.

Any suggesitons?

When I got my first pair of BNs I provided them with a ceramic cave. Although the male would hide in it, it was never used as a spawning site. Instead they chose a crevice in a large peice of driftwood. My feeling is if the pair want to spawn, they will find a place. There might not be such a thing as the perfect size cave.

HTH

So it seems like I simple need to make a few crevices and hiding spots and let them choose. Would like for them to spawn in the cave I plan to make so I can see the babies grow and the eggs when they are layed but that is fish.

All I know right now is they have an appetite that won't stop. Eating 3 wafers a week and a 1 inch piece of zucchini a week seems like they have non-stop appetites. That doesn't count for the home made pellets they scarf up once in a while for the protein.

Back
Top Bottom