Bn pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a bn pleco in a 10 gallon tank that I am rehoming into my new 29 gallon tank.

I am at the end of my cycle and I'm just wondering if my pleco can go into my 29 gallon tank without having any kind of light or hood on it yet? The light/hood is the last thing I need to complete the set-up!!!

Yeah it is fine to go without a light on a tank. The lights are more for us than the fish. If you would like a quick easy light to tide you over, you can buy clip on shop lights that hold 1 light bulb. They cost about $6 and work very well although they arent the prettiest

I have a bn pleco in a 10 gallon tank that I am rehoming into my new 29 gallon tank.

I am at the end of my cycle and I'm just wondering if my pleco can go into my 29 gallon tank without having any kind of light or hood on it yet? The light/hood is the last thing I need to complete the set-up!!!

Algae eaters are the last fish that should go into new tanks, as there is probably little to no algae for them the graze on. That brings me to my second point: you need lights to grow algae. In other words...no lights = no algae. No algae = a hungry Pleco. On a side note, make sure to add driftwood sooner rather than later, as they love grazing on algae.

David

Algae eaters are the last fish that should go into new tanks, as there is probably little to no algae for them the graze on. That brings me to my second point: you need lights to grow algae. In other words...no lights = no algae. No algae = a hungry Pleco. On a side note, make sure to add driftwood sooner rather than later, as they love grazing on algae.

David

Surely you can tide him over quite well on pellets, wafers, zucchini etc? You are quite right of course, but my bn pays little to no attention to algae. He's all about the 'proper' food!

Thank you all for the input. Ill prolly add other fish first for about 2 weeks after I get my light! That way the pleco will have some algae to eat.

David

All plecos need food to supplement their diet of algae. While the different species of plecos eat varying amounts of algae, none can live off of the algae alone.

Back
Top Bottom