BN Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's been in the tank for about 5 days, it's constantly sucking on whatever it finds (either rocks or the glass) and whenever I see it it's got a humungous trail of poop following..

I'm assuming this means it's eating fine. Is this correct?

I do have algae wafers that I'll try to feed when it gets a bit more confident but for now can it sustain itself on the scraps it's finding?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

also, it is good to have a piece of driftwood in the tank for it. they really do enjoy veggies, as well. stab a piece of zucchini or cucumber on a fork and place it on the bottom overnight. remove it in the morning. if he is being shy he will likely munch on it over night.

also, it is good to have a piece of driftwood in the tank for it. they really do enjoy veggies, as well. stab a piece of zucchini or cucumber on a fork and place it on the bottom overnight. remove it in the morning. if he is being shy he will likely munch on it over night.

Well it's an African tank so I'm trying to avoid the driftwood, I'll definitely pick up some zucchini tomorrow tho ?

I use french cut canned green beans instead of zucchini, most cichlids also eat the beans. French cut sink better than straight cut, and are always gone the next day.

I use french cut canned green beans instead of zucchini, most cichlids also eat the beans. French cut sink better than straight cut, and are always gone the next day.

I have previously fed them cucumber and peas. They both went down a treat.

Stringy white poop generally means a parasite infection, but otherwise it's normal for plecs to poop constantly.
I generally leave sweet potato and zucchini overnight for new plecs that won't come out during the day to eat.
BN's need more plant matter than meat, check your wafer ingredients to see it's getting a primarily veggie based food. Some companies sell veggie wafers and pellets that are mainly fish meal and starches, which is less than ideal.

Bns really need dw, it aids in the digestion process, doesn't have to be a massive stump, even a small log or branch will do, anything for them to rasp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stringy white poop generally means a parasite infection, but otherwise it's normal for plecs to poop constantly.
I generally leave sweet potato and zucchini overnight for new plecs that won't come out during the day to eat.
BN's need more plant matter than meat, check your wafer ingredients to see it's getting a primarily veggie based food. Some companies sell veggie wafers and pellets that are mainly fish meal and starches, which is less than ideal.

Well they're Mbuna so there'll be no meat at all.

The wafers are spirulina based anyway and are perfectly fine for any algae eaters.

Bns really need dw, it aids in the digestion process, doesn't have to be a massive stump, even a small log or branch will do, anything for them to rasp.

Now the thing is, there are just as many people telling me this as there are saying not to bother.
No offence to you but I don't really care much for your advice. Sorry.

Now the thing is, there are just as many people telling me this as there are saying not to bother.
No offence to you but I don't really care much for your advice. Sorry.

Edit, Ok, thats fine, look it up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom