BN pleco sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have one on hold at my LFS and I am trying to determine once and for all if it is male or female. It does have wiskers on the lower lip, none on the head and is about 3 inches long. There is a smaller one and it also has wiskers on the bottom lip only. Is this a species that the female has wiskers or are these males? I will try to take a picture of it at the LFs today and post it.

Basic description: light spots, light browning color, whiskers are 1/4-1/2 inch long on bottom lip and number 6-8 if I remember right. Body comes to a distinct end with a long and narrow tail.

Sounds like a female. The females have lip wiskers. The male has them to but longer as well as on his head. At 3", they should be sexable.

Here they are. I think one is male and one is female. The female is 4-5 inches total. The male is shorter, 3-3.5 inches.

The male one actually has whiskers above the lip line. They are very short and hard to see. I think it is anyway. I believe it has 3 whiskers just above the middle 2 whiskers. Really hard to see but they were there, I hope so anyway. 8O

It sounds like if there are whiskers anywhere but only the lip it is a male.

Now a bigger question:
Will all BN plecos breed together? My LFS says the ones they have are all the same but they look different. Might just be age because they are less than 2 inches but they still look odd.

Yes, bristlenose's will recognize each other despite their varying colors. I have a few in my tank at the moment, several different variants and all are from the same parents. Take a look at my "cats" pics in my sig.

not to hijack but just a quick question... you say different colors will breed together JC? DOes this mean that an albino bristlnose could possible breed with a regular color bristlenose?

Yes Asheley. They are in fact the same species.

not to hijack but just a quick question... you say different colors will breed together JC?

Brian answered the question before I could. But not only is the answer yes, but that is also the reason for all of the nice color morphs of the species.

Well we will find out. I got one that I think is a male, not the one pictured but he is young. The female is almost out of quarantine so I will get to bring her home soon. If he starts to protect a cave and she start pestering him then I should be in luck. Either that or have to wait for the male to hit puberty and grow his whiskers.

so from what i can tell, the males will have the big bristles on the nose, and female will only have the ones on the upper lip.

I didn't get the female, she died at the LFS. A real shame too because the male I got is the same size she was and they qould have been able to breed really soon. The smaller one I have will be a while before I know if it is female or male. At just under 3 inches there are no whiskers above the lip line but who knows. Will find out soon and hopefully be able to get my hands on larger female.

Back
Top Bottom