Boesemani Rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Boesemani Rainbow i want this fish where is it available to buy? anyone knows thanks

i live in LA but i dont see if they have a store front or just a shipping type of business?

will these larger type of fish eat or kill my other one in my team check out my profile.

Rainbows are rarely aggressive toward other fish, with the exception of competing males, which is really more a game of chase and showing off colors more than anything. They are one of my favorites, with about 12 (boesmani, turquoise, austrailan, red irrian, praecox etc.) in my 125g planted community now.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are very active and fast swimmers, which can drive some of their tank mates nuts. One or two smaller ones in your 20g may be ok, but keep an eye on your platys for signs of stress.

will it eat any of the smaller fish like the tetras? and what do you mean by creating stress on my other fish, what are the sign of stress on other fish? I thinking of getting one

No, they "normally" do not eat smaller fish. Because they are very active, fast swimmers and can get pretty big (4-6") sometimes the more placid, slower fish have a harder time in a small tank with these guys. You can tell fish are getting stressed when they have clamped fins, poor color, aren't eating, hide in the plants all the time or start showing signs of illness such as ich or fungal issues.

Tetras and Rainbows are usually fine together. I would keep an eye on the live bearers such as platy's, mollies etc.

I think boesemani will be too big for your tank, plus they require a lot of room to "zoom." If you did not have the gouramis that might be different, but rainbows are schooling fish and you don't have enough room for them, IMO. Mine are pushing 3" and are very full-bodied, creating a heavier bioload for their length than other types of fish.

Back
Top Bottom