Boesemani Rainbow Look Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 5 Boesemanis and one of them does not look right.

It's a juvenile so wasn't colorful, but now it looks yellowish and there appears to be a bit of a white crust/fuzz on it.

He is not swimming with the others and tends to stay near the top "shimmying" back and forth while staying in place.

img_1698725_0_4e4c5858aa956c805b3f9b8debf8a840.jpg

Which horrible fish disease does he have?

And yes, that is some nasty algae that I am working on.....

Thanks!

Hi Fred

How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? The first thing to do when something looks off is to test the water just to eliminate or pinpoint a water quality issue. What's your water change schedule?

The white fuzz could be a fungus but it's hard to see from the picture. Where is it and does it look cottony or slimy?

The tank has been established for a few months -- I do weekly water changes of around 40-50% and tested the water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite on Thursday evening. All were absent from the tank.

There are 4 other Boesemanis, 5 adult Platys, about a dozen platys that are less than 2 months old, 3 yoyo loaches and a cobalt lobster.

The white looks more crusty than cottony or slimy, and when I take a closer look, it could look like cut,but I am not sure.

The fish looks like it is an ablino now, with a yellow tings. Not at all what it looked like a week ago.

img_1698759_0_48805bddf5b24325c79dec883cb4f46e.jpg

Hm, I'm not good at diagnosing diseases so hopefully someone else can come up with some ideas. The closest I've come so far is Lymphocystis which could be rare but not impossible. What do you feed? Any live foods? Have you added any new fish recently? If it is lymphocystis the good news is that it should clear up on its own but separating the infected fish may be a good idea regardless.

On some additional reading the fact that he's showing symptoms may rule out the Lymphocystis idea as it doesn't seem to cause symptoms other than the growths.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
I added an angelfish yesterday, but this guy was already in this condition before I did it -- yes, I know, silly.

No live foods -- just flake, shrimp pellets and some frozen, cubed brine shrimp.

I just set up a 15g hospital tank -- any reason not to quarantine the fish?

Well, I went out to get a heater for the hospital tank and the rainbow expired.

Is there anything I need to do? Any preventative medicine in the main tank?

Back
Top Bottom