Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to fishfairy Send a message via AIM to fishfairy Send a message via MSN to fishfairy Send a message via Yahoo to fishfairy
Boesemani Rainbows

I went to the LFS yesterday and picked up some fish for my 55g now that it is finally cycled. I got a few zebra danios to finish out the school with the danios I already had in my other tank. I also picked up a pair of Boesemani Rainbows, a male and a female. Now I know these fish prefer to be in groups, so I am going to get 1 or 2 more (I really don't want to get more than this since they have a max size of 5" and I would like to be able to put some other fish in my tank too). Does it matter what ratio of males to females I get or does it not make a difference with these fish? I know the males look prettier with females around. I also don't know if these fish form true "pairs," but the two I have are doing great and are pretty much inseperable. I may try breeding them, but I'm not sure yet.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it matters too much. The males will try and get the female's attention but they won't harass her like guppies or swordtails do. i have 10 turquiose rainbows, 4 are still juvies but the other 6 are 5 males and 1 female and they are fine. I'd say maybe get another pair, that way there are more possible combinations if the fish want to spawn, that way they can find a partner they "like". I do not think they form pairs like angels or other cichlids do.

Have fun with them, they are gorgeous fish!

Old 08-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to fishfairy Send a message via AIM to fishfairy Send a message via MSN to fishfairy Send a message via Yahoo to fishfairy
On that note, would they all hang out if I got a pair of turquoise rainbows? I really like those too. I have heard that you run the risk of interbreeding, but I don't think I'd mind that so much.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfairy
On that note, would they all hang out if I got a pair of turquoise rainbows? I really like those too. I have heard that you run the risk of interbreeding, but I don't think I'd mind that so much.
My dwarf neon rainbows love to hang around my austrailian rainbow even though he is probably 5x their size Rainbows are active swimmers and fun to watch.

Here is a picture of my new Dwarf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainbow_126.jpg (152.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg rainbow_126.jpg (152.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very pretty, Pleco. I tried taking a picture of mine and they are way too fast. I'll post one if I can ever get a good picture.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Here's a pic of my 3 rainbowfish....

Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just got another Celebes rainbow (if you want a smaller rainbow, then this is your guy - looks like a long finned danio with beautiful coloring), a boesemani rainbow (always beautiful), and a Goyder River Rainbow. I highly recommend the Goyder - that fish is gorgeous! I will post pics when I eventually learn how to take good fishy pics!
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Even if you want the turquoise rainbows, I'd still get 2 more bosemanis. Rainbows are schooling, so I think they'd be happier in a group of their own kind. Then you could add 4 Turquoise rainbows and they would all be your centerpiece "group". I think you'd still have room for a school of tetras and bottom feeders.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the Goyder River Rainbow I promised (and I swear this is the best fishy pic I ever took!!)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok well I'm definitely getting 2 more boesemani, but I'm still on the fence about the turquoise. I have definitely found one of my new favorite fish though.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi fishferry

I too am a fan of the Bos. Rainbow.I used to have 3 in my 77 gal community tank.I have 1 left now and he's full grown.Here's a pic for you to see
He loves frozen blood worms and brine shrimp for food.
Later
Bigblue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish_2006_008_copy_135.jpg (68.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-19-2006, 01:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bigblue, that's gorgeous! I can't wait for mine to get that big.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
Rainbows typically are very slow growing, at least thats what ive noticed.

-Pleco
Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Well, I've noticed australian rainbows as fairly quick growers. I don't know about boesemani's though.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a pic of some of my turquoises....I have 10, which wasn't exactly the plan. I had 6, and wanted to get some of a different kind, when I found what I thought were 4 M. herbertaxelrodi (yellow) rainbows at PetCo. Bought them, got them home and they looked exactly like the turquoises! Oh well. I swear they were yellow in the store.

Once nice thing about having a big school is that they show much more "normal" fish behavior. When I had 3 they would just hang out and not do much, when I increased it to 6 suddenly they had completely different personalities.

Nice Goyder river rainbow, MSUFan, where'd you get that fish?

Tags
boesemani, rainbows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com