Boesemani Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to the LFS yesterday and picked up some fish for my 55g now that it is finally cycled. I got a few zebra danios to finish out the school with the danios I already had in my other tank. I also picked up a pair of Boesemani Rainbows, a male and a female. Now I know these fish prefer to be in groups, so I am going to get 1 or 2 more (I really don't want to get more than this since they have a max size of 5" and I would like to be able to put some other fish in my tank too). Does it matter what ratio of males to females I get or does it not make a difference with these fish? I know the males look prettier with females around. I also don't know if these fish form true "pairs," but the two I have are doing great and are pretty much inseperable. I may try breeding them, but I'm not sure yet.

I don't think it matters too much. The males will try and get the female's attention but they won't harass her like guppies or swordtails do. i have 10 turquiose rainbows, 4 are still juvies but the other 6 are 5 males and 1 female and they are fine. I'd say maybe get another pair, that way there are more possible combinations if the fish want to spawn, that way they can find a partner they "like". I do not think they form pairs like angels or other cichlids do.

Have fun with them, they are gorgeous fish!

On that note, would they all hang out if I got a pair of turquoise rainbows? I really like those too. I have heard that you run the risk of interbreeding, but I don't think I'd mind that so much.

fishfairy said:
On that note, would they all hang out if I got a pair of turquoise rainbows? I really like those too. I have heard that you run the risk of interbreeding, but I don't think I'd mind that so much.

My dwarf neon rainbows love to hang around my austrailian rainbow even though he is probably 5x their size :) Rainbows are active swimmers and fun to watch.

Here is a picture of my new Dwarf

Attachments

• rainbow_126.jpg
    rainbow_126.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 52
  • rainbow_126.jpg
    rainbow_126.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 45
Very pretty, Pleco. I tried taking a picture of mine and they are way too fast. I'll post one if I can ever get a good picture.

Here's a pic of my 3 rainbowfish....

26g27.jpg

I just got another Celebes rainbow (if you want a smaller rainbow, then this is your guy - looks like a long finned danio with beautiful coloring), a boesemani rainbow (always beautiful), and a Goyder River Rainbow. I highly recommend the Goyder - that fish is gorgeous! I will post pics when I eventually learn how to take good fishy pics!

Even if you want the turquoise rainbows, I'd still get 2 more bosemanis. Rainbows are schooling, so I think they'd be happier in a group of their own kind. Then you could add 4 Turquoise rainbows and they would all be your centerpiece "group". I think you'd still have room for a school of tetras and bottom feeders.

Here is the Goyder River Rainbow I promised (and I swear this is the best fishy pic I ever took!!)

Ok well I'm definitely getting 2 more boesemani, but I'm still on the fence about the turquoise. I have definitely found one of my new favorite fish though. :)

Hi fishferry

I too am a fan of the Bos. Rainbow.I used to have 3 in my 77 gal community tank.I have 1 left now and he's full grown.Here's a pic for you to see
He loves frozen blood worms and brine shrimp for food.
Later
Bigblue

Attachments

• fish_2006_008_copy_135.jpg
    fish_2006_008_copy_135.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 45
Well, I've noticed australian rainbows as fairly quick growers. I don't know about boesemani's though.

Here is a pic of some of my turquoises....I have 10, which wasn't exactly the plan. I had 6, and wanted to get some of a different kind, when I found what I thought were 4 M. herbertaxelrodi (yellow) rainbows at PetCo. Bought them, got them home and they looked exactly like the turquoises! Oh well. I swear they were yellow in the store.

Once nice thing about having a big school is that they show much more "normal" fish behavior. When I had 3 they would just hang out and not do much, when I increased it to 6 suddenly they had completely different personalities.

Nice Goyder river rainbow, MSUFan, where'd you get that fish?

P1010641.JPG

Back
Top Bottom