Boesmani rainbow and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been hearing some conflicting stories and wanted to see what people think or have experienced on here. I have 6 boesmani rainbows with few other peaceful schooling fish (harlequin rasbonas)and a pleco. I really wanted some red cherry shrimps also in the tank. Will they be eaten by the rainbow? The tank is moderately planted with a lot of hiding places. The shrimp are quite expensive here in Canada so I don't want them to just get eaten.

Thanks

its quite possible, since those rainbows get up to 6 inches i think (maybe 4?) a shimp will be an easy snack for them. All really depends on how well they are fed and whether they are aggressive enough to go after the shrimp, would be impossible to say for sure if they would eat them or not.

I had red cherry in my community tank & they were fine... Until my rainbows discovered they could fit them in their mouths. Now I only keep Bamboo, Ghost, Amano shrimp in there cuz they're larger & get left alone. I got a separate 15g for my nicer shrimp. Now everyone is happy. This is my shrimp tank

image-4084304410.jpg

With how voraciously they eat I wouldn't put it past them. It might take them a while to realize it but mine go after anything new that goes in the tank with hopes of eating it no matter how much they eat

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. So no rcs for a little while. I took me long enough to convince my wife about the 60 gallon community tank it might take a while to get a shrimp tank. I really want a puffer before also so all in due time

When I find dead shrimp in my shrimp tank I feed them to my rainbows & they love it. They pretty much go after anything that comes from above. Doesn't matter what it is

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. So no rcs for a little while. I took me long enough to convince my wife about the 60 gallon community tank it might take a while to get a shrimp tank. I really want a puffer before also so all in due time

Get some bigger shrimp. They may not be as colorful but they're still fun to watch. Seems like the rainbows ignore them if they're bigger than an inch when I put them in

That's the plan. I just saw some great rcs today I will get some ghost or Amano shrimp. I always love having shrimp in my community tanks. They are fun and great on the cleanup

I have 6 ghost shrimp ranging in size from 1/2 inch to over an inch, and my boesmanis nor my red irian rainbows have never bothered them. All of my rainbows are between 2-3 inches already. I am going to spend a few bucks and get some rcs, since they have not bothered these guys, hopefully the red ones will do well too :)

Back
Top Bottom