bogwood and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have two questions regarding my new fish tank.
1. I have recently put in a piece of bogwood that has leached some tannins into the water. i am doing regular water changes to combat this, but was wondering if it is harmful to goldfish? i have read lots of stuff saying tannins can be good for tetras etc... nothing relating to goldfish though.
2. i also recently put some live plants in, and a week later i have noticed 3 or so tiny snails. are they good or bad for an aquarium?
thanks in advance.

1. the tannins shouldnt be harmful, it just makes the water nasty looking. if you want to stop it from doing that, either boil it or soak it in a bucket changing the water ever couple days or so until it stops leaching the tannins

2. depends on what kind they are. i like snails, but some can be annoying. If you have pictures of them, we can tell you what they are. IMO snails are better than plecos, plus theyre neat to watch when theyre on the side of the tank :)

Hitchhiker snails are likely ramshorns (sort of almond shaped) or physas (round). I like them but the breed fast so if you want to get rid of them, better do it now.

1 its not harmful at all. just some people dont like the look
2 i dont think they are a bad thing. great for clean up and easy to show you if you are over feeding the tank or not.

Back
Top Bottom