Boiling Driftwood...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys...

Bought a piece from driftwood of kijiji - It sinks, is very "narly", and is a solid piece of wood. Its darker on one side than the other. I've seen this type before, at Big-al's, so I know its aquarium safe.

My question is: it was in the other guys tank for 12 months. Since there was still a tiny bit of moisture in the cracks, I decided to boil it and to make sure I wouldn't catch anything from his tank.

Well, I've replaced the water 4 times in 3 hours, and the water is still coming out VERY brown... How long does it take the tannin's to get out of the wood?!?

AH. I don't mind a BIT of leeching - Its for a discus tank. I think this will be the last water change. I'm assuming that boiling them is an extreme and that sitting in a tank, they'll leech much more slowly?

AH. I don't mind a BIT of leeching - Its for a discus tank. I think this will be the last water change. I'm assuming that boiling them is an extreme and that sitting in a tank, they'll leech much more slowly?

Yep, could take years, depending on the DW, for all the tannins to leech out.
I do agree about boiling DW from another tank, your not sure what microbes you'd introduce. We clean new ornaments and rocks we introduce, DW should be do different IMO.

Alright! Done, risned with cold water for 15 minutes, and its in the tank! Fish are curious. nipped at it a bit, then went back to swimming in the stream of the powerhead. (seems to be their pasttime)

Back
Top Bottom