Bolivian Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredMiklosovic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 35 gallon tank with a school of white skirts and a black kuhli loach. I was wondering if I could add a Bolivian Ram?

Sure! I have had german blue rams in my community tank and they got along fine with the other fish, and bolivians would probably be the same.

I actually have both GBRs and Bolivian rams in my community tank. As long as you have some caves, plants or hiding spots all should be fine.

What is our current stock?

A Bolivian Ram is a good choice as they tend to not only be good community fish but they also tend to be hardier than GBR's. They are however sensitive to nitrates so be sure to keep nitrate under 20ppm.

Go for it. I have a male in my 29 gallon community tank and he's peaceful with everyone. Remember though, it's still a cichlid, some chasing is expected but it's mostly for show.

I also wanted to add I find Bolivians to have a lot of personality and my pair at least seems to look as nice or nicer then most GBRs

Bolivian rams are much hardier than the German blue ram so they are best for beginners

I also wanted to add I find Bolivians to have a lot of personality and my pair at least seems to look as nice or nicer then most GBRs

My female had a ton of personality. She would follow me around the tank weather I had food or not.

GBRs are not that hard to keep. You just have to keep up with water changes. And make sure your temp is stable in your tank. Rams like warmer water

GBRs are not that hard to keep. You just have to keep up with water changes. And make sure your temp is stable in your tank. Rams like warmer water

I agree I haven't had an issue with my GBRs keep the water parameters stable and they are fine. (My heater broke and didn't realize the tank or down to 73 instead of the standard 80) I replaced it and everyone was fine, they are hardier then people say. Honestly I actually prefer the Bolivians over the GBRs

Back
Top Bottom