bolivian ram and flag fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monlov

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
heres what i have right now in my planted 55 gallon:
5 zebra danios
3 black neon tetras
3 SAE
1 albino bushynose plec(marty)
1 bolivian ram
1 femal american flag fish
10 apple snails
1 Bamboo shrimp (Captian yemoto)

my story: i bought a pair of bolivian rams over a year ago after about six months a had a internal nematode parrasite issue with my tank that killed one of the rams. after that i couldnt find bolivian rams at any of the LFS. but while searching i bought a pair of american flag fish. fast forward to a week ago and i lost the male flag fish to a swimbladder issue, think it was my fault:(

my question is i would like to get another(or 2?) bolivain rams and another male flag fish(or maybe more?). will the bolivian ram and the flag fish accept the new fish, and how do they do with the same sex, or in a group?

thanks

i will not speak on the flag fish as i have never kept them. the ram should accept another ram, preferably of the opposite sex IMO.

Male flag fish will fight with each other, especially if there is a female present. I would think that 55gal would be plenty of room though, since they don't get that big. My male has been happy for almost a year now, without a companion. I found a female about 3 wks ago, and they don't leave each other's side now. I would get a male and another female if you have the option.

on the new rams part (i dont know anything about flag fish compatibility). an older ram may reject a younger one for a mate, though this isn't always the case, just a warning.

Back
Top Bottom