Bolivian Ram Genders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
Does anybody know how to tell apart male and female Bolivian rams? I have discovered some very mixed ideas and I am not sure what is correct.:banghead:

All I know is the female will have a pink belly.

That's ramirezi. Altispinosa is a different fish. LOL. I've been keeping them on and off for going on 8 years and still, sexing them is next to impossible for me. I've read over and over what to look for, just am not able to put it into practice.

Females are smaller, and its second ray of the dorsal fin is shorter. The male rams dorsal ray extensions -- the third and forth rays -- are longer than the females.

That was taken from an article on rams in this months practical fish keeping.

I've found this helpful: Sexing Bolivian Rams. There's a lot of bad info out there on sexing them but I think that page is pretty good.

This very helpful. Thanks for your input. I think I have 1 female and 2 males. Thats good, now she can pick which one of them she wants (if she wants a mate at all). I also think 2 are males because they seem to be setting up territories on opposite sides of the tank. The girl is Mango and the boys are Tango and Rango. :) They are very pretty, interesting little fish and a real pleasure to have.

I think that combo might get tricky...having the 2 males and 1 female..I would expect a fair bit of aggression if two of them pair off. I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure though. What size tank is it?

Right in front of the anal fin there should be a little place where it sticks out a bit... It should look almost like a scale sticking out. Thats the breeding tube. On the female it should be bigger and more prevalent, while on the male it should be less prevalent and stick a bit closer to the body. That's the most guaranteed way I know.

I think that combo might get tricky...having the 2 males and 1 female..I would expect a fair bit of aggression if two of them pair off. I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure though. What size tank is it?
It is a 40 gallon. They are all fine so far, but I plan to sell one of the males back to the LFS is he is picked on. I have used plants and decor to separate the bottom of the tank so there are 2 distinct territories. The males each claimed one one side and the female seems to prefer one male over the other, but she still travels back and forth between them. No squabbles so far. But I am anticipating some discord if a pair forms and spawns.

Back
Top Bottom