Bolivian Ram turning agressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I was just feeding my fish like I have every day and I suddenly noticed my Bolivian Ram chasing all my other fish around. And not just a little bit. He's mercilessly chasing my poor cories that have done nothing to interrogate him EVER. I have had this Ram for probably almost a year now and he has never displayed any aggressive behavior that I have noticed. I have just rescaped my aquarium and done several major water changes in the last couple of weeks Could this be the problem? Should I be worries or will it be fine in a couple of days? I hate to see my poor cories get picked on and I just don't understand why my ram is being this way.

I have also not added any new fish.

Please help.

What size tan is this and is it planted? Usually this happens when a ram claims a territory but in too small a tank it can decide the entire tank is it's territory. Rescaping could have triggered it but it's really hard to say. Also is he doing it all the time or just around feeding time?

What size tan is this and is it planted? Usually this happens when a ram claims a territory but in too small a tank it can decide the entire tank is it's territory. Rescaping could have triggered it but it's really hard to say. Also is he doing it all the time or just around feeding time?

The tank is 20 gallons this is what it looks like

image-2799540188.jpg

Sorry pressed the send button by accident.
And it seems to be happening mainly around feeding time but one of my cories has lost most of his fins and I am starting to wonder if my ram is to blame.

Sorry pressed the send button by accident.
And it seems to be happening mainly around feeding time but one of my cories has lost most of his fins and I am starting to wonder if my ram is to blame.

I checked out your profile and noticed you have 4 cores. The tank is a 20 high, so the bottom is kinda small with a lot of busy fish. If it was a 20 LONG, with more floor space, the problem may go away.

I checked out your profile and noticed you have 4 cores. The tank is a 20 high, so the bottom is kinda small with a lot of busy fish. If it was a 20 LONG, with more floor space, the problem may go away.

When I got the tank I didn't realize the difference between a 20 gallon long and high. I was under the impression it was a long but just recently discovered it was not. I can't really change the tank situation now. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to give away my Ram for the betterment of the tank. :(

Since the tank footprint is small and you rearranged something triggered the ram making him want to claim the entire lower tank. About the only thing that "might" work is remove the ram and rearrange the tank, then put him back in. Often it will trick a fish into thinking it has been put in a new tank where it has no territory. Otherwise you may be better off rehoming him but it's not uncommon for many types of fish to get aggressive during feeding.

Since the tank footprint is small and you rearranged something triggered the ram making him want to claim the entire lower tank. About the only thing that "might" work is remove the ram and rearrange the tank, then put him back in. Often it will trick a fish into thinking it has been put in a new tank where it has no territory. Otherwise you may be better off rehoming him but it's not uncommon for many types of fish to get aggressive during feeding.

I've just never seen him act like that before. I guess I'll wait and see if he keeps it up and if he does, I'll try moving him.

Sometimes they don't start acting up until they reach sexual maturity, so that could be the case.

Back
Top Bottom