Bolivian rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I have a few bolivian ram questions. I have a 20 long tank with 3 platy. The ph is about 7.6. So, here are the questions :)

Can I keep a single bolivian ram, or do they have to be in pairs?

Can a single bolivian live in a 20 gallon long tank? What about 2?

Are 3 platy and 6 neon tetras good tankmates, or will there be problems?

Thanks!

You can absolutely keep a single Bolivian. Actually in your case, you may be better off. They can get kind-of nasty when they pair off for mating reasons. Also to keep in mind, they reach up to about 3" long. But you should have no problem just keeping one. If you have the Platys breeding, it may take care of the babies, so don't plan on any surviving. They're my favorite fish, in my tank =)

a male and female would be fine in a 20L, they stick to the bottom anyways.

Those are fine tankmates, my bolivian rams dont seem to notice the other fish.

Great fish, much hardier then the German blues. Still very sensitive to water conditions though. You can definitely put them in though, even as a pair.

Thanks for the help. Just curious, are they colorful? I saw quite a few pictures where they were stunning pinks, blues, and yellows, but in others they look plain. Do they get more colorful as they get more mature?

Thanks again so much.

Not as colorful as the Germans, but have you looked at the goldens? Still hardier then the Germans, but more colorful then the bolivians.

I've got some pictures on my profile. they're phone pictures so the quality isn't the best. It's subtle beauty.

Hey guys, just wondering, is it better to get 2? I was told they probably won't breed in my tank (hard water) but do best in pairs. (?) What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom