Bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my 40 gallon has been cycling for about 2 weeks. I have 5 danios to cycle it and 1 platy from my other tank to test the water, and they're all doing well with the help of constant water changes. I heard Bolivians are pretty hardy and even though my water quality isn't bad right now I want to slowly add fish in the 40 gallon, starting with the hardier ones to ensure a stable balance.

I just want to know they're general demands, breeding habits and appetites before I go get them? There are only 3-4 left at Petco but I'm thinking to get all of them to make sure I have at least one breeding pair which I can breed later. Thanks!

Honestly if your tank has only been up that long cycling even with WC's I wouldn't add any rams. Bolivians are hardier than German Blues but still I feel they should be added to a tank that isn't fully cycled.

They tend to be good eaters, not fussy (at least mine have never been), they are still sensitive to nitrates as Germans are just not quite as sensitive as the Germans so they still need good water quality. And if they spawn they are the same as Germans meaning they will get more aggressive when there are egg or fry present.

I just tested my water and its less than .25 ppm, closer to 0 and it doesn't look like its going anywhere. However my other concern is could I keep them with a blue gourami?

Yeah you could, but I am against DGs because they often carry DG desiease, and can kill the other fish, but not always.

Thanks! I just got back from the store and I'm currently acclimating them but looking at them now they appear to be German blue's which are less hardy than Bolivians. Good thing I have a cycled 10 gallon tank as a backup if they don't do too well in the 40.

Yeah you could, but I am against DGs because they often carry DG desiease, and can kill the other fish, but not always.

Actually there is alot of controversary about DG disease. I recently read a report pretaining to importing issues with Asian fisheries and DG disease and in the report it was estimated that 23% of imported DG are actually infected with the disease which is actually a virus. It also talked about how there is no definitive evidence that true DG disease is even transmitable to other species. There was only one fish species, a certain type of cod that they knew could contract the virus. IMO the whole DG disease is being blown alittle out of proportion when in fact what alot of the deaths that your seeing is from poor breeding, the same issue that plagues German Blue Rams being exported from Asian breeders. I have 2 DG in my 220g that are doing great.

I just tested my water and its less than .25 ppm, closer to 0 and it doesn't look like its going anywhere. However my other concern is could I keep them with a blue gourami?

It's a risk keeping a blue gourami as they often get quite aggressive when mature. Plus alot depends on the types of fish you want to keep with it. So you have a 50/50 chance of one working in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom