Bolivian rams. Anyone have experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. I just had my 2 blue rams die, and really like rams. I have been reading a lot that Bolivian rams are a lot hardier. I would get 2 at the max for my 29 gallon but do not wanted one to bully the other. Are the easy to take care of my water parameters are ph=7.2 ammonia0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 20ppm. I currently have 1 baby bn pleco, 6 diamond tetras, and 6 cory catfish.

Yes, they are easy to care for and a great choice for a 29. Your water parameters look great for them. You should not have any trouble keeping them alive. Just watch for bullying from your diamond tetras. These tend to get somewhat aggressive with age.

Diamond tetras get aggressive? Everywhere I have read that they are peaceful when they are in a school.

They can become feisty and nippy, yes. They are quite large for tetras and have the potential to do some damage if they decide to nip. They are also voracious eaters and you may find it difficult to get food to your other fish, eventually.

So do u think the Bolivian rams wont be such a good idea?

I think they're a fine idea; just watch for aggression from the diamonds as they get larger.

Will the Bolivians be aggressive towards each other? I had 2 gbr and the one was always chasing the other im guessing that is why he got tail rot first and died

They aren't really aggressive toward each other, no. If you want to eliminate the possibility, just get one.

I had a bad experience with my two rams I had. I might just get one to start with. The rams were really sensitive with my tank being a month old and newly cycled. Just don't wanted it to happen again with the bolivians

Bolivians are a lot easier to keep; or at least it's much easier to find healthy specimens at the lfs. I think you'll enjoy this fish.

Back
Top Bottom