Bolivian rams, betta and community tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to think of a colourful fish to add to my community tank. I currently have 2 pretty chilled Bolivians, 8 celebes rainbows and a couple of Corys. I was thinking of a doing a betta but am aware of the potential for aggression. Would a betta be ok with Bolivians and the celebes? My rams stick to the bottom of the tank so I doubt they would interact too much with a betta? Also would my Bolivians nip at a betta?

Other than bettas does anyone have any other suitable tank mates? I'm not too keen on gourami really and don't want an more shoal isn't fish or livebearers. So any suggestions for a single fish to add some colour and interest to my step would be great.

how big is the tank? Not sure what to recommend without a tank size. lol

Betta is hit or miss. A lot comes down to the betta itself. Sometimes they are great community members and other times they are big old butt heads. I just saw a tank on here with a betta and ram together though and was rather surprised. Though apparently as the Ram matured it became aggressive towards the betta and the betta had to be moved

Tank size is 130litres. Stocking-wise I have the 2 rams, 8 celebes, 2 cory, 2 Siamese algae eaters and a few shrimps to give a idea of tankmates. Has been set up for about 4 months. Parameters are good, although pH is at around 8.

hmm.

A female betta may work

Koi angel. They aren't overly colorful but certainly would add an unique look.

Those are the only singleton options I can think of that aren't gourami or live bearers. lol

Ok great. Thanks for your help. I'll check out the koi angel and have a look at the female betta in my LFS to see if any take my fancy. May have to go for a DG after all lol.

Ok great. Thanks for your help. I'll check out the koi angel and have a look at the female betta in my LFS to see if any take my fancy. May have to go for a DG after all lol.

lol. There are some other nice gourami options too. Opaline Gourami are nice and larger than the DG. I have a Sunset (color morph of the Honey) and he's great. Makes an awesome community fish.

Back
Top Bottom